CHAPTER 54

SHAWN

Growing up, I naturally took on a protective role for the women in my family, especially my three younger sisters. Even as a kid, I didn't need instructions; it just came naturally to me.

I felt a strong sense of responsibility, especially when our dad was preoccupied with work. While he was caught up in company matters, I took charge of looking after my sisters. 

I made sure Shay completed her homework and kept up with her private tutor. I ensured that Shanelle never missed school, balancing it with her modeling classes. And I made sure Shelby excelled in her piano lessons. 

My focus was always on ensuring these three girls were in the right place at the right time.

As we grew into adulthood, we had our disagreements, but my care for them never wavered. Sure, I might have been tough on them at times, but my love for all my sisters remained steadfast.

Time flew by faster than I could grasp. It feels like just yesterday I was teaching Shay how to ride her bike in our driveway. She was so small then, struggling to keep her balance, and I was right behind her, ensuring she didn't fall.

And now, seeing her walk down the aisle in her stunning white wedding gown, radiating beauty, my heart swelled with emotion, and tears welled up in my eyes. She looked so breathtaking that it almost hurt to watch.

My little sister was getting married today, a momentous occasion for all of us.

It's ironic how expectations were that I, being the oldest, would marry first. Yet, here was Shay, the youngest among us, taking the lead. But it wasn't surprising. 

That was just Shay - intelligent, determined, independent, and with a heart of gold.

Though us older siblings were in relationships, we knew it wasn't our time yet. This day belonged to Shay, and we couldn't have been happier or more excited for her.

As Shay reached the altar, she turned toward our father, who had walked her down the aisle. Despite his stoic exterior, I could tell he was on the verge of tears. He and Shay hadn't always seen eye to eye. In fact, hardly anyone got along with Dad. 

But deep down, I knew he had a soft spot for Shay, even if he never openly showed it, fearing she might exploit it.

Dad kissed her on the cheek and gave her hand to Jason, Shay's groom. They stood side by side, a picture of love and happiness.

Then, all eyes turned to the entrance as Sylvia, made her way down the aisle, escorted by her father, my Uncle Steve.

No one had anticipated a double wedding, but Shay and Sylvia had meticulously planned their weddings together. They were inseparable, like twins, always doing everything together. Sylvia was the only cousin from our dad's side who was close to us, especially to Shay. 

They were best friends, bound by a unique and unbreakable bond.

I wasn't shocked by the double wedding idea, but what really surprised me was the fact that she was marrying Chase Evans. I'd been away from home for almost two years, but had I really missed that much? 

When did it even happen? And how?

I remembered Chase as the guy Shay had been set up with on a blind date. I punched him in the face that day for embarrassing her. But anyway, doubts aside, this was their big moment, and I was genuinely happy for them. Two other guys and I served as the groom's best men.

We stood in a line, all of us wearing matching black suits and blue ties, while the bridesmaids stood on the other side behind Shay and Sylvia, wearing matching navy blue dresses.

As the priest started the ceremony, I glanced at Jules sitting in the front row between Shelby and Shanelle, with my parents. I looked once and couldn't look away. She looked breathtaking; her sage-colored dress really brought out her eyes. I smiled as I looked at her.

She hadn't noticed me staring yet; her eyes were fixed on the couples getting married. There was a look of happiness on her face as she kept watching, and suddenly, I saw her eyes well up with tears.

It surprised me because I rarely saw Jules cry, and seeing her cry at a wedding was both amusing and confusing. Her eyes suddenly met mine, and a slow smile spread across her lips. It felt like she was peering straight into my soul, and my heartbeat quickened.

The look in her eyes said it all, and at that moment, I realized that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I wanted to be the next groom standing at the altar, watching her walk down the aisle to marry me.

I love her. I want to spend every moment of my life with her, and I will. Our moment will come, and one day, we'll stand here facing each other before reading our vows.

Jules was my happily ever after, forever.