CHAPTER 42

~2 WEEKS LATER~

SHAWN

I stepped out of the fancy limo, and a barrage of camera flashes hit me like a tidal wave. I had to squint to avoid being temporarily blinded by the paparazzi frenzy.

Leaning against the car, I extended my hand toward Shanelle. She placed her hand in mine and gracefully emerged from the car, which triggered another round of camera flashes. We faced the reporters and paparazzi crowding outside the resort's entrance.

We both maintained a composed demeanor as Shanelle and I posed for the cameras. We were here to attend her friend's party at the resort, an event filled with the crème de la crème of society.

Shanelle was doing her best to cheer me up, as I'd been keeping my distance from everyone for the past two weeks. I thought I'd move on, but the pain still lingered, affecting my appetite, sleep, focus at work, and my ability to enjoy things I used to love.

Despite my friends and family's efforts to lift my spirits, I remained reluctant to engage in social activities. I appreciated their concern, but they couldn't fully grasp what I was going through. I was growing more and more comfortable with my newfound solitude, unintentionally distancing myself from others.

However, tonight, I decided to give Shanelle's efforts a chance, something I hadn't done for the other two sisters of mine. Life throws curveballs, and sooner or later, we have to move forward and leave the past behind.

With Shanelle holding onto my arm, we ventured inside. The party, hosted by her friend Beatrice, had taken over the entire resort, and the festivities were centered around the grand pool area.

Guests were dressed to the nines, men in sharp suits and ladies in elegant cocktail dresses. It felt more like a gala than a casual party, but I didn't pass judgment on their taste.

Beneath the velvety night sky, the resort's pool area sparkled in a dazzling array of colors. The whole place transformed into a lively wonderland, with vibrant lights decorating every corner. The pool itself was a captivating sight, lit up by floating, glowing orbs that danced on the water's surface, creating a magical ambiance. 

 High tables, dressed in rich purple and gold, were occupied by guests, their faces illuminated by the soft, enchanting glow. The atmosphere buzzed with energy, exuding an air of sophistication and celebration. 

I found myself entranced by the sheer elegance of the moment. 

 Amidst the lively conversations and laughter, waiters moved gracefully, serving champagne and refreshing drinks. The clinking of glasses blended seamlessly with the gentle splashes of water, crafting a symphony of celebration beneath the starry sky. 

A few partygoers approached Shanelle, and I let her go to socialize while I headed to the bar to get myself a drink.

"Whiskey. On the rocks, please?" I requested, and the bartender nodded as he prepared my drink.

Leaning against the bar, I scanned the crowd, my gaze wandering from one person to the next, somewhat lost in thought. It wasn't until I locked eyes with a familiar blue pair that I snapped back to reality.

I straightened up and turned to face her fully. Her gaze bore into mine, and her smile faltered slightly as she stared at me.

"Shawn," she finally said my name and her hug took me by surprise.

Reluctantly, I returned the embrace. I hadn't anticipated this unexpected reunion, and seeing her again brought back some of the painful memories I had tried to forget.