CHAPTER 43

JULIANA

My body froze, a lump forming in my throat. His glare seared my skin, my heart sinking deeper into my stomach, making me feel sick.

"I-I came with a friend," I stammered, glancing around and noticing nearly everyone staring at us.

I hadn't expected this sudden confrontation from Shawn, but I had anticipated seeing him at the party tonight.

Honestly, we weren't exactly invited. I'd been keeping an eye on Shawn for weeks, waiting for a chance to talk to him.

To my disappointment, he rarely left for personal matters, only appearing for work-related events.

Part of it was my fault. I'd hurt him badly, and the consequences of my actions were evident in his life. I almost didn't want to come here tonight, burdened by guilt.

But this was my only chance. Kim managed to secure us an invite through her connections.

This was my shot to talk to Shawn. Even if he didn't want to see me, let alone talk to me, I had to try.

"A friend? Does a murderer like you even have real friends, or do they fall into the same category as your work?" he hissed.

I swallowed hard, looking down at the ground, hoping he hadn't noticed the tears in my eyes.

"Shawn, are you okay?" a new voice asked, and I quickly looked up.

A tall blonde girl, alongside another with long brown hair, stood by his side. I recognized the blonde one as Shawn's sister, Shanelle. The one dating Vince.

They stared at me curiously before giving me a once-over.

"I'm fine," Shawn replied without taking his eyes off me.

"You know what, will you excuse us? I need to talk to her alone," he said, grabbing my arm and pulling me away from the girls.

His action surprised me; I almost tripped and had to lift the front of my dress to avoid stepping on it.

The familiar spark from his touch lasted for seconds before pain replaced it due to his tight grip.

"Shawn, you're hurting my hand," I warned, but he didn't listen.

He led us farther from the pool until we reached the deserted lobby area.

He turned me around to face him, his grip on my arm relentless.

"You need to leave," he said, his tone clipped, his grip tightening.

"Shawn, let go of my hand."

He scoffed, a sarcastic laugh escaping him.

"I'm not surprised you're here, Jules. But I don't want you here. I thought I made it clear I never want to see you again."

"Shawn, my arm, please," I begged, wincing in pain.

He finally released my arm, pushing it away roughly. The pain receded, settling in my chest.

I rubbed my arm, looking up into his cold eyes.

"Shawn, I just want to talk. Can't you give me a chance?"

His jaw tightened, and he looked away.

"I'm done listening to your explanations. I'm trying to rebuild my life that you destroyed, and yet here you are, trying to ruin it again."

His words felt like a dagger in my heart. I reached for his hands gently.

"I'm sorry, okay? I don't know what else you want me to do. I'm trying to fix this. I really am."