CHAPTER 8

SHAWN

I checked into my hotel close to Waikiki Beach. Dad had already sorted everything out, making sure I'd be in one of their best suites for my stay.

Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a local hotel or even a four-star motel if I'd arranged it myself. But Dad went all out to ensure I'd have a great time here, probably to prevent any thoughts of going back home.

The first night was alright. I talked to Shay to make sure she got home safely, but she ended up staying at our cousin Sylvia's place. My parents still think she's with me in Hawaii, though.

Room service brought my breakfast, and I sipped coffee while soaking in the balcony view.

The suite was huge, meant for both me and Shay. Now, all the extra space and silence are getting kind of boring.

I got up to head to the bathroom when my phone rang. I saw Conner's name and answered right away.

"Morning Conny."

"Good morning! Great news – I called Andrew and Kai, and they'll be here tonight. I've planned a day cruise on my yacht for us guys, and if you want you can also bring any lady friends along.The more the merrier, right? We'll have drinks, a DJ, plenty of food, and some sightseeing. What do you say?"

I chuckled, hearing Conner's plan. He's still a bit of a control freak, but at least he's managing it better now. I found myself more excited about the idea than I expected.

"Sounds great, Conner. Love the day cruise idea."

As he explained more details, I opened the balcony doors. The cool morning breeze brushed against my skin, and I could almost taste the saltiness from the ocean in the air.

My balcony overlooked the hotel's massive pool, where people and kids were already having fun. I also had a perfect view of the beach and the marina on the other side with all those boats and yachts.

"Yeah, that actually sounds good," I replied to Conner while he continued with his ideas.

I glanced to the side. Since my room was horizontal, the neighboring building was to my right. There was a woman on her balcony, wearing dark jeans, a black top, and a black cap. She had a camera in hand, pointed towards the beach. I followed her gaze and noticed she was taking pictures of the marina, which puzzled me.

Why focus on boats when there's a beautiful beach right across?

"Shawn, you there?" Conner's voice brought me back to reality, and I refocused on the call.

"Yeah, what were you saying?" I asked.

Conner went on about our friends Andrew and Kai joining us on the cruise tomorrow. But I kept getting distracted by the mystery woman on the neighboring balcony.

I couldn't tell if she was a local or a tourist like me; her face was hidden under that cap. She took more pictures before glancing directly at me. I quickly looked away, heart racing. When I looked back, she had vanished.

The sliding door remained open, and the white curtain swayed in the breeze, but there was no sign of her anywhere.