CHAPTER 15

SHAWN

I was up bright and early the next morning. I didn't even get a decent night's sleep because my mind was racing with so many thoughts.

But it was a good thing we were planning to explore the local town today. The first thing on my agenda was to find a cell phone to try and call home or see if there was a local police station where I could ask for help.

I figured Jules probably wouldn't mind if I wandered off. I could tell she wasn't too thrilled to have me around, so leaving might actually do her a favor.

When the sun came up, I was already waiting outside near the Jeep. I heard the door open and turned around to see Jules emerging, dressed in black and carrying a small backpack.

"Morning." I greeted her, but she ignored me and tossed the backpack in the back seat.

"Show me your hands."

I was taken aback.

"Wait, what?"

I slowly raised both hands, and she swiftly grabbed my right arm, securing a zip tie around my wrist and attaching it to the handle above the Jeep's door.

"Whoa, whoa, what the hell!"

I tugged at the zip tie, but it wouldn't budge. I stared at her in shock and confusion.

"Just in case you get any funny ideas along the way."

I managed a dry chuckle.

"Like what? Knock you out and leave you in the forest unconscious, then take off with your Jeep?"

"Exactly," she retorted before getting into the front seat.

Geez, this woman was tough to get along with. What was her problem, anyway?

I climbed into the backseat, my arm hanging awkwardly by my side with my hand tied near my face. I didn't have much choice but to stay like this until we reached town.

Ten minutes into the drive, I glanced at her through the rearview mirror. Her sharp gaze remained fixed on the road, one hand firmly gripping the wheel.

I hadn't noticed until now; she actually had pretty eyes. They were green, almost the same color as the surrounding trees, mountains, and grass.

"So, do you know where we're going?" I asked, and she briefly glanced at me through the rearview mirror.

"If you stay quiet, maybe I can concentrate and find the way."

"Oh, so you do know your directions then?"

Her brows furrowed, and she shot me a quick glare as she continued driving down the dirt road.

"I do, and you're distracting me, so shut up."

I kept quiet, suppressing my smile, and focused on the scenery outside my window. It took us about thirty minutes until we finally reached the main road.

It was fairly empty, and Jules confidently sped down the highway.

I sat up straight as I began to notice houses and cars nearby. This was it – the local town. It wasn't as small as I'd expected. There was a whole community here with supermarkets, shops, small boutiques, and what looked like a mini-mall as we drove by. I was kind of amazed.

Jules parked the car near the marketplace, came around to my side, and cut the zip tie with her pocket knife.

I rubbed my wrist while getting out of the car and looked around. Everyone appeared to be locals, and Jules and I stood out as the only Americans.