CHAPTER 21

SHAWN

"Well, there aren't too many folks living around here these days. Most of us have headed over to Oahu or back to the mainland. Right now, there are just a few dozen people in this community."

Miriam's face took on a distant expression as she shared her story with us. Jules was completely engrossed, the first time I'd seen her so captivated, and I couldn't help but keep my eyes on her.

Miriam had introduced us to her restaurant, a cozy little deck connected to her house. A few other people had taken seats at nearby tables, enjoying their lunch as well.

Miriam really went all out with lunch. She brought out shrimp, lobster, salad, chicken lasagna, and some fruit. It was way more than two people could eat, but she insisted it was her way of thanking us.

She started telling us about their town, and both Jules and I were genuinely interested in learning more about their close-knit community.

"The self-appointed mayor of our town is actually doing a great job of keeping things safe and running smoothly. Even though we rarely see outsiders around here, we're fine with the quiet, away from the hustle and bustle of city life."

Jules shot me a quick look, and I met her gaze for a moment before she turned back to Miriam, a faint smile playing on her lips.

"So, where are you two originally from?" Miriam's question caught Jules off guard, surprise showing on her face.

"Well, I'm from San Francisco," I replied, and Miriam nodded with a smile.

Then, she turned her gaze to Jules, placing her hand on top of Jules's.

"And what about you?"

I also looked at Jules, curious about her origins, but I'd sensed she was private about personal information, so I hadn't asked before.

"Los Angeles," Jules replied in a soft voice, almost inaudible.

"So, how did you two end up here, if you don't mind me asking?" Miriam's question hung in the air, and Jules and I exchanged glances. I hadn't told Jules about my ordeal on the yacht, so she assumed I'd drowned, as she was the one who had given me CPR on the beach.

Jules had never elaborated on why she was staying in the cabin away from town and Oahu either. Besides seeking peace and nature, she hadn't shared more.

"I came out here to get away from my family for a bit," Jules began. "I brought a satellite phone with me in case I decided to return, but it got wet, and the batteries got damaged. We're trying to fix it, and once it's working, I'll leave."

Miriam's gaze remained fixed on Jules, concern in her eyes. Jules had mentioned she didn't want to go straight home once she left the island, wanting to go somewhere her family couldn't find her. I wondered what her family situation was, hoping she'd confide in me someday.

"I was on a cruise with friends," I chimed in. "We were out at sea, having a great time, catching up after not seeing each other for ages. They were college buddies. But then, everything went wrong. The boat exploded, and I fell into the water. I don't remember much after that. The next thing I knew, I was here. Jules saved me on the beach, and that's how we met."

Jules stared at her hands on the table, and Miriam gasped, sympathy on her face.

"Oh my God, that's terrible. What about your friends?"

"I don't know. I hope they survived and got help," I replied, my voice trailing off.

"Do you have any idea what caused the explosion?" Miriam asked.