CHAPTER 7

SHAWN

I climbed the little staircase into the plane, dragging my small suitcase behind me as Shay followed closely.

Inside the jet, a friendly flight attendant greeted us with a smile, and we handed over our luggage.

I settled into the window seat, and poured myself some champagne already on hand, while Shay sat across from me, engrossed in her phone.

"I'm so glad you decided to come with me. I was worried I'd be bored by myself."

She glanced up and smiled, saying, "That's why you have me," before gazing out of her window, her smile fading a bit.

It was clear she wasn't entirely thrilled about this sudden vacation plan. She had a lot going on already, and this trip was a major pause button on her life, just as it was for me.

Our father might have forced her to join me, but I knew she agreed mainly for my sake.

I let out a deep sigh, and her eyes snapped back to me.

"Okay, spit it out. I can tell you're not thrilled about this trip."

She frowned and sat up straight.

"What? No! I do want to go to Hawaii with you."

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to open up, and noticed her fingers anxiously twining together.

"It's alright, Shay. I know you too well. If there's something else you were supposed to do today, just go for it. I'll be fine, and I don't want you to feel obligated or stressed about coming with me. Do whatever you had planned with that guy you like. Just be safe, alright?"

A smile slowly spread across her face. She had only told me a few days ago that she was seeing someone, and I must admit, I wasn't thrilled about it.

But it was her life, and her happiness meant the world to me.

"Thanks, Shawn! I promise I'll make it up to you when you get back."

I chuckled and gestured for her to leave.

"Just go before the plane takes off."

She got up and planted a big kiss on my cheek before waving me goodbye and heading out.

"Don't have too much fun without me!" She called out before disappearing.

Guess I'm doing this by myself then.

OoO

I touched down in Honolulu a few hours later, and to my pleasant surprise, my ride was already waiting on the tarmac. A sleek black Mercedes Benz awaited me, and the driver gave me a friendly nod before stowing my bags in the trunk.

Settling into the plush backseat, I couldn't resist the urge to pull out my phone and search for the number of an old buddy who had relocated to Hawaii years ago.

Why not catch up while I'm here on this beautiful island?

"Hey, Conner, it's Shawn. How's it going?"

"Shawn? Man, it's been ages! I'm doing great, what about you?"

I grinned, relieved that he seemed genuinely happy to hear from me. After college, I'd drifted apart from most of my friends as we all went our separate ways.

"I'm doing well. I heard you moved to Hawaii."

"Yeah, I'm expanding my business out here."

"That's awesome, dude. I'm actually in Hawaii right now and thought we could grab some drinks or something?"

There was a brief pause.

"Seriously? Hell yeah! I'd love to, man. How long are you staying?"

I glanced out the window at the scenery, taking in the moment before replying.

"For a while, I think."

"Awesome. I'll make some plans and give you a call. It's great to hear from you, Shawn. Andrew and Kai are actually planning to visit next week. I'll tell them to book their flights early. We'll have a blast while everyone's here."

Just what I needed: some fun, a reunion with old friends, and a little quality time to myself.

I guess this vacation idea wasn't too bad after all.