CHAPTER 5

SHAWN

When I got home that evening, I made a beeline for my study, which was actually located outside our house. I requested this change about a year ago during renovations because I love the peace and privacy it offers, away from all the noise and tension inside the house.

To my surprise, I found Shelby wandering around inside my sanctuary, and my recent conversation with Dad instantly came to mind.

I casually tossed my briefcase and suit jacket onto the sofa and started rolling up the sleeves of my dress shirt.

"If you're done daydreaming about taking over this room, you can get out now."

She continued to gaze at the books on the shelves, and then she slowly pulled one out. An involuntary grimace crossed my face as she mishandled the book; I can't stand it when people mess up something that was already perfectly arranged.

I had meticulously set up this place exactly the way I wanted it, and the bookshelves were my pride and joy. Every book was meticulously aligned, varying in size, with nothing jutting out.

Shelby flipped the book open and then, finally, turned to face me, though her eyes were still glued to the book in her hands.

"I've always wondered what it's like to have this place all to yourself," she replied, earning a scoff from me.

"Is that why you were discussing with Dad behind my back about taking the CEO position from me?" I retorted.

Her eyes snapped to mine, and she closed the book while finally looking up.

"It was a topic that was due to be addressed. You're clearly not cut out for the role."

"And you are?" I shot back.

A sly smile crept onto the corner of her mouth, and she casually placed the book on top of my desk, causing my fists to clench in irritation.

"I know I am. Besides, I've put in more work than you have. All you do is bark orders from your office while the rest of us handle the real hard work."

She took a seat on the sofa, giving me a steely look before continuing.

"Dad is well aware of the disparities, but he just needs a little more assurance about which one of us is better suited to run the company independently."

I let out a sarcastic laugh. 

"I'm keeping this position whether you like it or not. Dad put me in charge for a reason, and that's why you're not in my shoes right now. You can keep trying to persuade him to take it away from me, it's not going to happen. So give it up."

She stared at me for a long moment before a smirk crossed her face.

"Well, about that, I've already spoken to Dad, and apparently, he told me you can keep your position. Just not here."

Confusion washed over me, and I was about to ask what she meant when she suddenly stood up and headed toward the door.

"Dad wants to see you in his study before dinner," she said from the doorway, giving me a knowing smile before she exited.

What the hell was she hinting at? And why did my father want to speak to me at this moment?

I promptly left the room and followed her out, determined to get some answers.

OoO

I knocked on my father's study door and heard his voice call from inside. I opened it, and there he was, standing by the drink cabinet, sipping on a drink.

I paused in the middle of the room, waiting for him to finish. When he turned around, he motioned for me to sit, and he took a seat too.

"Have you talked to your sister?" He asked, and I slowly nodded.

His question piqued my curiosity and confusion again.

"Yeah, a few minutes ago. What's going on?"

He carefully placed his glass down and slid a folder across the table to me.

"The prosecutors are looking into some stuff, and I can't have you here getting caught up in it."

I reached for the folder and saw it was a warrant for the prosecutors to investigate the office. I was already aware of this, but my father and Shelby didn't know because I initiated the investigation with the prosecutors. The main aim was to focus on Shelby and uncover the rest of her shady dealings.

Dad believed we were both under investigation, but the authorities knew I wasn't involved.

"What do you want me to do?" He narrowed his eyes and took another sip.

"Didn't you hear me? I don't want you tangled up in this or even be here."

His words hit me hard. Maybe Shelby was right all along.

"What do you mean?"

"You can either transfer to our branch in China or lay low somewhere in the Pacific islands until this investigation is over. Your call."

My throat felt dry, and the gravity of the situation sank in. This wasn't what I expected during the investigation.

I wanted to stick around until they found enough evidence against Shelby to kick her out for good.

Damn it. This was all going sideways. He's putting me on the spot.

"You want me to leave?" I asked disbelief in my voice.

He nodded, leaning back in his chair.

"You decide. Shelby and I will handle things here. Once it cools down, we'll let you know when to return home."

Shelby and I. Of course, she pushed him to this. What was I expecting?

I stood up, glaring at him.

"I'm not leaving. The press will have a field day if I vanish while the company's under investigation. We're already dealing with the mess Shelby created with the protesters. I can't just abandon everything and let you two handle it."

He shrugged nonchalantly, sipping his drink.

"If you're staying, you'll be holed up in this house. Reporters will be everywhere, and the prosecutors can't find out you're still here. Do you understand?"

I clenched my jaw in frustration, anger coursing through me. He was making all the decisions as if I couldn't decide for myself. I felt trapped.

After a long pause, I sighed in defeat, eyes on the floor.

"Fine, I'll do it."

He raised an eyebrow, surprised at my compliance.

"So, which one?"

I swallowed my pride before answering.

"I'll lie low for now."

He smirked, pulling out another folder from his desk and passing it to me.

"I thought so. I've already arranged everything. You'll be staying in Hawaii. Take the private jet, your accommodations, and expenses are already covered. Take Shay-Lina with you too."

My eyes widened in surprise.

"Why?" He shot me an icy glare.

"That girl is useless around the house. Might as well send her with you for some company."

I felt relieved that Shay would be coming with me but concerned about her secret job. I knew how much it meant to her, but arguing with my father to go alone would only raise suspicion and more questions.

We didn't have much of a choice but to go along with his plan. This was final.