CHAPTER 22

SHAWN

I was totally blown away when everything wrapped up at noon, and the festival finally kicked off. The flower decorations, the lights, and the food – everything just looked amazing.

JoJo and I pitched in with the feast preparations, along with a few other guys and a couple of elderly gents who always cracked jokes, making the whole experience more fun.

Something that really surprised me was how they cooked food in an underground oven beneath the soil. At first, I was baffled, but thanks to JoJo's detailed explanation, I finally got how it's done and why they kept up with the tradition.

It was pretty mind-blowing, and the food looked delicious.

After that, we headed back to Miriam's place to get ready for the night. I hadn't seen Jules all day, but I hoped she was doing okay and getting along with Neilani.

JoJo lent me a white shirt and matching pants. The shirt was so thin and see-through; that anyone could see my abs right through it. The collar had a low-cut V, showing a bit of my chest, and the sleeves were short.

I was fine with the see-through shirt; it was just the pants I was concerned about. Otherwise, I wouldn't have accepted them from JoJo.

I looked around and noticed the surroundings had plunged into complete darkness. The night's chill made goosebumps pop up all over my skin, but it didn't bother me much.

The streets were lit up, music filled the air, and people laughed and chatted; everything felt so wholesome. It reminded me of home, and at first, I thought I'd start feeling homesick. But that feeling never came.

Being part of this festival made me never want to leave.

"Hey, man," JoJo said, approaching me with two plastic cups filled with red liquid.

He handed me one, and I examined it for a moment before taking a sip.

"Wow, what's this?" JoJo grinned and sipped his drink.

"A secret potion. My own creation."

The drink tasted like nothing I'd ever had before. It totally caught me off guard with how good it was.

"Wait, you made this?" He nodded with a proud smile.

"Yes, sir. And, oh, I added a bit of rum in there in case you didn't notice."

I definitely noticed, which is why I was surprised that something so fruity had such a strong aftertaste.

"Have you seen the girls yet?" I asked, glancing around.

"Who? Your friend and Neilani?" I nodded, and he chuckled while taking another sip of his drink.

"Women take forever to get ready. Trust me, we see it every year at this event. It's their excuse to doll up and wear their prettiest dress to impress us guys."

He was right, but I didn't need to be impressed by anything Jules did. The moment I saw her joining the crowd with Neilani by her side, I held my breath.

Her white sleeveless dress flowing below her hips made her look like an angel. With her dark hair and green eyes, she immediately stood out, capturing everyone's attention and smiles as they noticed how beautiful she looked.

I also noticed she had put on some makeup, probably Neilani's handiwork. Jules and the word makeup didn't usually go together, but she looked stunning with it. It made her eyes pop.

A hand landed on my shoulder, and I snapped out of my daze, looking at JoJo.

"You okay, bro? Need a moment to pick your jaw off the ground?"