19 | Numbered

CHAPTER NINETEEN
Numbered

"THIS SHIT STINKS." CJ complained as he hauled the two buckets of chummy meat from the boot of Steve's car. The smell hit his nose as soon as he lifted, causing him to grimace.

"You're so dramatic." Steve chuckled, picking up his bat from the boot once again, and putting on some rubber gloves.

"Dustin! This is Lucas, do you copy? Dustin?"

"Well, well, well. Look who finally answered." The kid CJ had grown to admire in the few short hours, walked a little away as he reprimanded his friend over the walkie. The two got into a heated discussion over what had occurred with the creature known as 'Dart'. "I'll explain later, just meet me, Steve and CJ at the old junkyard, and bring your binoculars."

"CJ Rhodes? The guy who's like Billy 2.0? Seriously?"

Dustin glanced up at the now scowling teen, an apologetic smile on his face, though it quickly turned to a grin when he saw how Steve was trying not to laugh at his peer.

"C'mon kid, we're losing light here." The now grumpy blonde turned to walk down the tracks. He smiled to himself as he heard Dustin hurriedly talk to his friend, before coming to walk by Rhodes' side. Steve came up to his other side, grabbing a chunk of the meat that the blonde was carrying, before chucking it to the floor around them. Dustin pulled his own set of gloves on, before mirroring Steve's actions, giggling at the way CJ cringed at the squelchy noises and poignant smells. This was going to be a long day.

Max Mayfield had just finished packing her bag, the urgent call to the supernatural she had just received off Lucas. The desire to see proof of the boy's claims was enough to make her crawl out of bed today, fix up her skateboard, and pack a bag for the road.

She quickly made her way out the room, going to the front door.

"Where are you going?"

She jumped, shrieking a little as she turned to face Billy, who was led up on the couch, looking quite tired. "B-billy... I- uhh... when did you get back?" She stammered, her heart racing from the previous jumpscare.

"This morning. Now answer my question." His tone turned hostile towards the end, though not to its usual level. Hargrove didn't have the energy, not after last night, at least.

"Er.. skateboarding? Just on the street." She holds up the board which had been duct taped together.

Billy eyed the girl, before looking at the skateboard in her hands. His mind couldn't help but think back to something CJ had said, about leniency and trust when he was dealing with Max. It had come after Billy had spent an evening ranting about his kid sister to the blonde, only to find out that CJ was actually jealous that Hargrove had a little sister, even if they didn't get along.