SIX

2nd june 2023, spain

          ELLA WAS NERVOUS FOR HER FIRST RACE WEEKEND AWAY. They were landing in ten minutes. Max knew she was worried, her knee hadn't stopped jumping up and down the whole journey. "Antonella."

"Sorry," she apologised, crossing her legs to stop her shivering. Max winked at his daughter, who got out of her seat and hugged Ella warmly. "I promise to be on my best behaviour Elsy, I won't let go of your hand for even a second!"

"Thank you, Mills! You are a wonderful girl," she smiled, Max looked out the window to grin, he didn't want Antonella to see. "Don't worry Antonella. Millie has been to lots of races, she knows how to behave."

"Are you excited for the race tomorrow Mils?" Ella asked after qualifying had finished. Millie nodded excitedly. Ella had actually enjoyed watching the qualifying more than she would care to admit. It had been a close battle that Max had won by 0.489 seconds. And he would start once again from pole tomorrow.

Ella and Millie were on their way to the hotel, along with their bodyguard for the weekend Nico. "Shouldn't you be working? Getting the car ready for tomorrow's race?" Ella had asked him, Nico shook his head "You'd be surprised how much power and persuasion Max Verstappen has, belleza."

Ella was still shocked at how beautiful and fancy the hotel was. She wasn't sure what she was expecting but it wasn't that. Nico left the girls to it once they were settled watching TV in Ella's room. "When will my Daddy be home?" Millie asked.

"I'm not sure sweetheart, it shouldn't be too long as he will be rushing home to see you!" She said, tickling Millie playfully. Millie giggled adorably, before saying she was bored of the movie. Ella had turned it off immediately and asked Millie what she would like to do instead. "Can we have a dance party?" Millie pleaded, Ella gave in almost immediately and put the radio on. The girls danced around the hotel room, laughing and singing. "What's your favourite song Millie?"

"Shake it off!" Millie answered, and so Ella put Taylor Swift on. Outside in the hallway meanwhile, Max unlocked his hotel room expecting to enter to a dance party, he was shocked to discover the empty room on the other side of his door. And so he dropped his bags and locked his hotel room before entering Antonellas.

"Daddy!" Millie cheered, running to greet her father with a hug. "Hello princess!" He beamed, lifting her into a hug where he kissed her forehead. "Daddy, daddy! Dance with us!"

"Do I have to?" Max laughed, "It's her favourite song Max!" Ella laughed, Max rolled his eyes but joined in. Millie was definitely the cutest dancer out of the lot. Max took a bit to warm up, but seeing the precious look on his daughter's face made it worth it. Truthfully, Antonella didn't think he was that bad a dancer. He had a few tricks up his sleeve, that was for sure.

After a few songs, Millie was tired, and wanted her bed. Max told her she had to have a bath first which upset Millie. "Hey Mils don't cry, how about we get you to bed, and tomorrow you can have a bath before we go watch your Daddy race, how about that?" Antonella reasoned with the child, Millie had stopped crying and calmed down. Max thanked Antonella and the father and daughter left to their hotel room next door.

Half an hour later, Max knocked gently on Antonellas door, and apologised for interrupting. "Millie wants to say goodnight," Max said sheepishly, Ella didn't mind at all and hurried to say goodnight. "Goodnight Mils, I will see you in the morning. Sweet dreams."

"Goodnight Elsy!" Millie gave her a hug, Max tried to ignore the way his stomach fluttered at the sight. Max walked Ella back to her room, though it was less than 10 steps away. "Hey I was thinking, wouldn't you want to go out and celebrate tonight?" Ella asked him, "Well yeah, it would be great, but we can't leave Millie here, so."

"Max," Ella half laughed, "I could stay and watch Millie and you could go out?" Ella offered, Max hadn't thought about that. Truthfully he had thought about going out, but he hadn't considered going out without Ella. "I couldn't ask you to do that," Max rubbed the back of his neck.

"Really it's not an issue I promise. I would be doing the same whether I was in my room or in your room watching Millie - sitting on the couch watching my phone," Ella laughed. Max wasn't sure what to say, Ella's offer was very generous, but Max didn't want to take it. Why? He wasn't sure. "It's okay, I'm fine."

"No I insist! You deserve to have some fun! I'll just go get changed into my pyjamas. Go and get ready!" Ella insisted, Max couldn't say no to her, and a few drivers had invited him out. Ella had disappeared into her room, and so Max did the same. He changed his redbull top for a grey one and sprayed some aftershave.

Antonella knocked on the door, and entered at Max's reply. "Well have fun! Don't worry about me, I'll stay here until you get home." Ella said somewhat quietly. Max nodded, but didn't hear a word she said. Ella was wearing a pair of navy blue striped pyjama shorts, and a baggy printed tshirt. Why was Max reacting like this? They weren't attractive pyjamas, not in the slightest.

"I won't be too long. If you do get tired, just sleep in my bed and I'll get your room key and sleep in yours," he wasn't sure what he was saying. It sounded like a good idea in his head. Ella laughed and told him to have a good night.

Max wasn't out too late, he had a good night but he was desperate to return to the hotel room. When he did, he found a sleeping Antonella laying on the couch, wrapped in a blanket. Max involuntarily laughed - it was only midnight. He debated leaving her there, but didn't want her to be uncomfortable.

He imagined a few different ways he could play this. He ultimately decided, to gently lift Antonella and put her back into her hotel room. He put her hotel room key in one hand and lifted her into his arms. He unlocked the room and gently lay her on the bed where he tucked her in and lay the blanket on top of her.

As he left the room, he couldn't help but look at her once more as he turned the light off. "Goodnight, Antonella."

"