SEVEN

4th june 2023, spain

FOR THEIR FIRST RACE WEEKEND AWAY MAX HAD ORGANISED HELP FOR ANTONELLA. Unfortunately for Ella, that help was Domenico Furi. A very flirtatious and handsy boy that seemed to take a liking for Ella. Despite this, the weekend was a lot of fun, Max had won again in Barcelona and Millie had a blast.

Now, the weekend was over, the Grand Prix was finished and they were on their way back to Monaco in Max's private jet. Millie cuddled into Ella's arms, Max kissed his daughter's forehead on his way to the bathroom. "Elsy."

"Yes Sweetheart?" Ella yawned, catching the eye of the ambitious four year old who looked very suspecting, Ella wasn't sure what of. "Are you going to be my new mummy?"

Ella had no idea how to respond to her big hopeful eyes.

Luckily, Max returned from the bathroom and Millie didn't say anything, it seemed she had forgotten but Ella couldn't forget. It was on her mind the entire flight, while Millie slept soundly back in her own seat. Max could tell something was bothering her. "First Grand Prix away, did you enjoy it?"

Ella nodded as she stared out the window, Max struggled for words. "Maybe the next Grand Prix away we could spend the Monday in Canada too?"

"Yeah that would be nice," Ella smiled, finally looking at Max. "Antonella what's wrong?" He asked seriously, his daughter twitched in her sleep. Ella shook her head furiously, insisting it was nothing she was just tired. He told her to get some sleep, and she did.

monaco,

After they were back at Max's, he carried Millie to bed before coming back to the living room, he caught Ella just as she was leaving. "Antonella!"

"You sure you're ok?" He asked, Max was worried Antonella was uncomfortable with the fact that Max had carried her back to her hotel room. "I'm okay." She nodded and continued leaving, before stopping in the door frame. "Hey just a heads up..." Ella started, Max turned to listen to her fully. It was hard for Ella to say. "Millie asked me if I was her new mummy today."

"She did? I'm sorry if that made you uncomfortable..." Max moved closer to her, she shook her head with a smile. "It didn't I just wasn't sure what to tell her, I don't even know what happened to her Mum or anything—"

"I thought maybe once she started school she would start wondering about what happened to her mother, but not for at least another two years I thought... I thought I had more time." Max zoned out, looking at the floor. His eyebrows were furrowed, he looked as if he was having trouble working things out. He sat back down on the couch, Ella joined him. She tried to comfort him."Hey, Millie is just a kid. Don't worry, she doesn't need to know about this stuff. I can imagine it must be hard to talk about." Ella soothed him, Max nodded along and wondered what he was going to tell his daughter.

"Anyway, I'm gonna head to bed. I'm sorry for your loss Max." She said sweetly, touching his hand gently before walking away. Max stopped her quickly, laughing dryly. "What?"

"What? Did I say something wrong?" She asked shyly, covering her mouth with her hand out of nerves for saying something wrong. Max had a strange look on his face, almost puzzled. "Antonella do you think Millie's mother is dead?"

"Well with what you said— I just assumed. Sorry. Am I wrong?" She stood, awkwardly. Max stayed seated. "Yes and no." He said shortly, this confused Ella. She walked back over to him for clarification, she tilted her head as she waited for him to continue. "She is dead to me."

Ella's eyes widened, Max didn't mean to be so harsh in front of Ella, but his ex was a touchy subject. "Do you mind me asking what happened?"

"She left. Three days after Millie was born. Said motherhood wasn't for her and never would be, especially since we were twenty-one. Told me not to tell Millie her name, incase she came looking for her one day. Then the first weekend I had to spend away from Monaco, when Millie was at my mothers, she came back and stole everything." Max explained in monotone.

Antonella was shocked, she couldn't fathom how a woman could do that to her own child. She tried to excuse her, try and resonate with her and see her side. But she couldn't, not with this. She hated the idea of hating a women she didn't know personally. Antonella didn't know what she was going through. But she knew that if she had a child, she would love them more than anything. Especially if that child was as amazing as Millie. "I... I'm so sorry, I can't imagine."

"Twenty-one with a new baby, recently dumped, recently robbed. Yeah it was hard. But we did it." Max smiled simply, Ella was amazed, she couldn't believe all he went through, and to still have a smile on his face was incredible. "Millie is wonderful, she's really lucky to have you as a Dad."

"Thank you Antonella, it means a lot. Sometimes I worry I can't give her everything a mother can." He worried, taking a sip of his drink, Ella waved her hand dismissively, "Nonsense, she's perfect." She insisted.

"Hey, when's your birthday?" He asked randomly, "July ninth, why?" She answered quickly, Max nodded slowly, and shrugged his shoulders as he explained; "Just wondering if you had already turned the age you are now or if you will be turning that age next year."

"Right," she smiled awkwardly, "Goodnight Max."

Max lifted a palm to his forehead in annoyance. "All you had to do was ask her how old she was you dumbass!" He muttered.