TWENTY-FIVE

8th october 2023, qatar

THINGS HAD BEEN DIFFERENT. Max had just won in Qatar, he was exhausted and roasting from the cruel conditions of the race. "I really think we should just stay at the hotel." Ella suggested, but Max refused. He wanted to fly home tonight.

Ella wasn't sure what had changed in the week since Max's birthday, but he had gone cold. It was as if he'd returned to how he was when Ella first met him. It was unsettling, and she wasn't sure what she did wrong. She hadn't treated him any differently, she didn't want to make the situation worse. Maybe Max was just having a bad weekend.

"Max," she decided she had to put her foot down, "that was one of the hottest races you have ever raced! Other drivers were passing out, throwing up and had to be checked by medical staff. I am not letting you fly right now."

"Fine," was the only word he could bring himself to say. Truthfully he did feel as if he was about to collapse at any minute, and so he gave in and stayed another night in the hotel.

When they got to the hotel, Max immediately dropped himself onto the cold, leather couch. Ella put Millie to bed and then tended to Max. She poured him a glass of water and handed it to him, he downed it in one and thanked her. "Maybe you could have a cold bath?" She suggested, Max shook his head which only made him feel dizzy.

"I'm fine. It really wasn't that bad." He defended, his breathing had been extremely heavy since the end of the race. Ella was getting worried. "It looked bad, the state that some of the other drivers were in..."

"Well I'm not the other drivers okay?" He said sharply, Ella flinched slightly, but waited a second before she spoke. "You are only human, Max."

Max was struggling to keep his eyes open. He could hardly breathe. Ella was growing more and more concerned. It had been absolutely roasting for her in shorts and a tshirt. She can't imagine what Max was going through in an entire fireproof race suit while sitting in an F1 car. "Antonella."