TWENTY

2nd september 2023, italy

          "HE'S DONE IT ELLA!" Salvatore shouted in celebrations, Ella's brothers cheered enthusiastically, Ella turned her attention from Millie to see what her father was talking about. "What? Is Max on pole?"

"Max? No Carlos!" Her Dad shouted, Ella nodded and hoped Max wouldn't be too annoyed. To her surprise, when Max got out of the car he still had the biggest grin on his face. "Be honest with me, Verstappen, did you let that happen?" Salvatore asked intimidatingly, Max shook his head. "No sir, I tried my hardest. Ferrari is back!" Max cheered, this confused Ella greatly; why was Max cheering for the return of one of his opponents? She decided not to question it as her father and Max shared a hug. She blinked to make sure she wasn't dreaming, and couldn't believe what was happening in front of her eyes.

Max was right, he was a charmer. And Ellas whole family was already wrapped around his finger. Ella was actually scared at how fast they had changed their opinion on Max, she worried that he bewitched them.

Later that night, the family shared a huge dinner filled with laughter, drinks and good food. "Mama, Millie is asleep in my room but Max and I are going to go out for a walk so just be wary," Ella warned, her mother nodded and reminded Ella not to stay out too late. She gave her a wink which Ella pretended not to notice. "So, tell me the truth. Did you let Carlos get pole?"

"You are so cute, 'get pole!' No I didn't, he beat me," Max smiled, Ella was surprised he was taking it so well. "If I find out you deliberately let him get pole position to win over my family I will be so angry!"

"I didn't! I would never!" He acted offended, but Ella still wasn't convinced. She pointed a finger at him accusingly, "If you let Carlos beat you tomorrow I will be so annoyed!"

"Aw, don't worry gorgeous, Carlos won't beat me. I know you can't stand the thought of me not winning," he teased, brushing a finger against her cheek. Ella playfully slapped his arm and ordered him to stop it. He apologised and complimented the mesmerising sunset that covered the sky. It was nearly finished, and soon it would be dark, but Ella had to show Max her favourite place in the world. "Okay we're nearly there. Close your eyes!" She ordered, Max seemed uncertain, but Ella didn't have to try hard to convince him. "Okay take my hand," she stretched her arm infront of him. "Well I can't see, can I?"

"Oops," she laughed, taking his hand and leading him to their final destination. She positioned him perfectly in the middle of the gazebo and told him to open his eyes. He was stood in a white, gorgeous gazebo which was surrounded by flowers. "This is amazing!"

"I know right! It's been my favourite place to come all my life." Ella explained, Max scanned the area and narrowed his eyes. "Antonella, are you trying to seduce me?" He raised an eyebrow, Ella did a double take she was so shocked. "What are you talking about?"

"Forgive me, but this place is very romantic. And I can't help but notice you brought me here, at sunset, alone."

"That means nothing!" Ella defended with a laugh, Max tilted his head. "If you say so," he shrugged his shoulders, and turned his head back around to face the amazing flower field.

"Would you like me to seduce you?" She said softly, Max's eyes widened in shock. Max had recently come to the conclusion he may have had some sort of feelings for Antonella, but he wasn't sure what kind of feelings they were. Maybe they were just lust, and his solution was one night of joy between the two of them. Or maybe his feelings went deeper, he didn't want to know.

Max couldn't answer the question, no matter how much he wanted to. "So how come your family think I'm a show off?" He changed the subject, Ella seemed startled by the rapid change in conversation. "Well just you win a lot. And when you changed your number from 33 to 1 because you won or whatever they thought it was a bit entitled," she shrugged, Max's eyes turned sad, Ella immediately felt guilty. "Well maybe I had a reason,"

"I'm sure you did. I'm just going off of what my family have said. They say they prefer MV33. Whatever the hell that means. And even you must admit your win at Abu Dhabi 21 was controversial." She pointed out, Max shook his head immediately. "Let's not go back there again," he insisted, Ella nodded silently.

"Yes." He said. Ella smirked, "yes you admit your win was controversial? Or yes you would like me to seduce you?" she teased. "Just yes." He repeated, Ella laughed, and rested her head on his shoulder. His heart rate increased rapidly, he slowly turned his body to face her, placing a hand on her waist and the other against her cheek. They had been here before.

Max stared at her lips as if they were testing him, daring him. "You know, I had my first kiss here." Antonella admitted suddenly. Max held back a laugh as he looked away and rolled his eyes. "You ruined it." Max sighed, Ella laughed evilly. "Adriano broke the guys nose."

"Adriano is my favourite brother of yours," Max said immediately, Ella laughed, and condescendingly asked him why. They talked for hours, sat on the gazebo floor, until Ella decided it was time to go back home. "Come on, time to go." She ordered, offering him a hand to help him off the floor. They walked home in a comfortable silence, Max kept his hands in his pockets and Antonella kept hers crossed around her ribcage. She missed his touch, but she wouldn't admit it.

The pair tiptoed up the stairs into their rooms, "Goodnight Antonella," he whispered into the hall, Ella answered immediately, worrying that the butterflies might burst through her stomach. "See you in the morning, Max."

Ella went into her room, and got changed into her pyjamas before finally getting into bed. She lay there for a while, wondering what the hell was going on between her and Max Verstappen.