TWENTY-ONE

3rd september 2023, italy

THE BONARDI FAMILY WERE HAVING THE TIME OF THEIR LIFE. Carlos had lead the grand prix for over ten laps, before Max had overtaken him. Ella was surprised that her family still cheered for Max even though he was racing for the opposite team. "Tough luck for Carlos, well done Max." Salvatore spoke to his daughter, Ella nodded in agreement. She couldn't believe how fast they had changed their opinion on Max. Max was right, he was a charmer.

After the race, Max was in an amazing mood. He had set a new record, and Ella couldn't believe him. She watched him on the podium with the proudest grin on her face. And the Bonardi men were so excited that Carlos had got a podium they weren't even annoyed at Max's dominance. "This was the best weekend of my life," Salvatore admitted. Ella gave him a confused look. "Dad you have five children and you are happily married."

"I still stand by my statement."

Off the podium, Max went straight to the Bonardi family. He gave his daughter a warm hug and kiss, and received a pat on the back and a 'well done' from every member of the family. Max felt more welcome than he ever had before. "I was gonna let Carlos take it, but the boss wouldn't have been too happy with me," he joked, making the boys laugh. "Your boss? You mean Christian Horner? Max do I have to remind you that you're taller than him?" Angelo teased, Max laughed at his joke.

"I didn't mean Christian, I meant my father," he laughed, Ella and her mother watched confused at all the laughter between the boys. "I actually have some people I would like you to meet, Mr Bonardi," Max said ominously, he asked them to give him a minute and the family returned to their conversation. Antonella watched Max and knew this wouldn't end well, he was on his way back with a Ferrari driver on either side of him. "Guys be cool."

"It's Carlos Sainz! And Charles Leclerc again!" Alessandro said in a high pitched voice, Ella tried not to cringe as Charles greeted her with a kiss on the cheek. Max introduced all the boys to Carlos, and her father to Charles. Ella couldn't watch them all fanboy over these poor men. She took Millie to the bathroom with her mother. "So honey," Her mother began, Ella knew the conversation wasn't going to end well. She had Millie on her hip for the walk to the restroom as it was very crowded. "You and Max, what's happening?"

"He's my boss, we're friends we get on well." Ella said simply, not giving it any much thought. "You know, a mother always knows best." She said ominously, Ella rolled her eyes and was glad Millie hadn't taken her ear defenders off. "What are you implying, mama?"

"He likes you, I know it." She gossiped like a young girl, Ella shook her head furiously, denying everything.

"To Max," the family toasted at dinner, Max thanked them and complimented Vittoria on the food. "So when are you guys leaving?" Angelo asked, Ella laughed and thanked him for the comment. "I didn't mean it like that! I was just curious!"

"Well if it's okay with you, Dad, I was actually thinking I could stay here until the twelfth? Since there's no Grand Prix next weekend," Ella asked, her father accepted immediately. "Of course, you are always welcome here! You as well Max, and of course little Millie." Salvatore offered with a warm smile, Max thanked him and asked his daughter where she would like to go.

"I want to stay here with Elsy," Millie said shyly, Max laughed. "I guess you're stuck with us for the time being," he chuckled, making Ella's father laugh once again. Ella was really shocked by how well everyone got on, but she couldn't complain.

"I am very sorry for how quickly I judged you Max," Salvatore admitted quietly, Max shook his head and insisted it was okay; he was used to it. Ella's brothers each apologised as well. "Don't worry about it guys, let's just move on." Max had smiled.

After dinner, Millie had decided she wanted to go on a walk. Max and Ella knew just the place to take her. The pair showed the young girl the gorgeous flower field with a gazebo in the middle. And Millie fell in love instantly, skipping towards the gazebo. "Come on guys!" Millie begged them to join her. Max and Ella shared a loving look before both running towards her.

"This place is so cool! Elsy did you come here when you were a little girl?" Millie asked, Ella nodded and told her about the first time she had come across this place, she was playing tig with her brothers, and she was running from Angelo when she came across this place.

"What's tig?" Millie asked, Ella explained that it was when someone was 'it' and they would chase the others until they caught someone and 'tug' them.

"Ah you mean tag!" Millie corrected, Ella laughed and agreed with her. "Tag! You're it Dad," Millie laughed devilishly before running away. Max immediately moved his gaze to Ella, who had already started running away. "He's coming Millie, run!" Ella warned, laughing. Max ran after Ella, and tug her quickly, Ella made a plan in her head and ran to meet Millie.

"Millie! Do you wanna team with me against your Dad?" Ella whispered, Millie nodded immediately. "Okay so I'm gonna tig you, but you're gonna run towards your Dad shouting about how I'm gonna get you! Got it?" She said slowly, Millie nodded and put out her hand for Millie to tag. Immediately, Millie started running.

"Dad! She's coming! She's gonna get me!" Millie shouted as she ran from Ella behind her, Max laughed as he watched, and outstretched his arms for Millie to jump into. To his horror, his daughter had got close enough to him, and tug him. Before running away laughing.

"Are you girls teaming against me?" He laughed, the girls admitted nothing. Millie ran and hid behind a tree, and Ella remembered a secret way to the gazebo around the back of the trees. When she got to the gazebo, she saw where Millie was hiding, but she couldn't find Max. "Tag!" He shouted suddenly, appearing from behind her, Ella gasped in surprise. "It's tig! Not tag!"

"Either way, you're it!" Max laughed, beginning to speed walk away to his daughter. Ella followed him silently, Max noticed and sped up, he ran past his daughter and lifted her effortlessly onto his back. "And the Verstappens take the win!" Max celebrates, Millie cheered while Ella laughed at their sillyness. "Sure, only Millie deserved the win," Ella insisted, Max acted offended. "What did I do?"

"You hid and tug me!" Ella laughed, Max apologised for his intuitive thinking, making Ella laugh once more. "Dad can you carry me home? I'm tired?" Millie begged, her father lifted her up immediately without any questions, and carried her the whole walk home.