EIGHT

17th june 2023, canada

ELLA WATCHED THE PRACTICE CLOSELY. She was beginning to understand this whole thing, during the week that there was no Grand Prix, Ella had opted to stay in Monaco with Max and Ella and continue to help out. On a lazy Thursday, Max and Ella watched old Grand Prixs from 2021, Max tried to explain the rules to Ella but often was shushed by his own daughter who loved watching the cars go around.

"Ella, Ella! Daddy didn't win!" She pouted, Ella explained to the young girl this was just a practice, and Max could still win this weekend. Millie crossed her arms and pouted. Ella thought she was adorable, but soon enough she was smiling again when she saw her father. "Dad! You said you'd win for me."

"How about this, I'll win for you on Sunday, princess?"

"Why couldn't you win for me today?" She asked, holding her fathers hand. "Because he wanted to give someone else a chance," Ella explained. Millie was satisfied with this answer, and hugged her Dad once more. Max had finished sixth for the second practice, he didn't seem too concerned or worried about such a fact. "I have to do an interview quickly, how about we go out for dinner?" He asked, Ella nodded and Millie cheered, she liked this idea evidently. Max blew a kiss at his daughter and hurried away. Ella and Millie began walking in the other direction to find a bathroom.

Ella looked back at Max once. But he looked back two times.

Ella couldn't see any signs or indication of where the toilets would be. She was trying not to panic, to stop Millie from panicking. "Sweetheart, do you know where the toilets are?"

"Nope," she said shortly. "Where's Daddy?" She asked, with a moaning tone. Ella assured Millie she would see her Dad very soon, he would be joining them for dinner. Millie begun skipping, dragging Ella along with her by the hand. "Hurry, I really need to pee Elsy!"