Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Dr. Hattie

  I watched Grace walk with the scum bag social worker down the hallway. He was a piece of work. It really wasn't hard to see that he couldn't care less about the amazing girl he had the responsibility of looking after.

I had talked to my sister and she was thrilled with the idea of possibly fostering Grace. I knew that if they were able to, her life would be much better off- even more so than the average person.

Maybe, just maybe things would work out for Grace.

I pocketed the business card I had forced the social worker, Will to give me and walked down the hallway to the private room Pete was staying in.

I opened the door with a slight knock and walked in.

"Oh, hello Dr. Hattie!" Kim smiled.

"Hi Kim!" I returned the smile and turned to Pete. "How are you feeling this morning?"

He managed a weak smile and said, "I'm great. I can finally talk to my Kimmy."

Kim looked at him adoringly. I turned my attention to Jaxon who was asleep on the couch. His guitar was still strapped across his shoulder and he was cuddling it.

I chuckled before I spoke again. "I am so glad to hear that!  We'll have to run some more tests because your heart is still weak, but I'm very optimistic that you'll return to normal. I've been meaning to tell you that I've been transferred to the hospital in Massachusetts. That means that unfortunately starting this

afternoon you'll have a new doctor. His name is Dr. Blanchard."

I frowned because honestly, I didn't want to go. I wanted to stay here in LA.

Kim nodded. "I know Dr. Blanchard. We went to medical school together. I believe I met him when I was working here before I got cancer."

Pete spoke up. "I want to thank you how well you've taken care of me. You're a great doctor and Massachusetts will be lucky to have you."

I smiled at him. "Thank you. I've got to go sign some papers in the front so I'll have to say goodbye now." I moved towards Kim to give her a hug.

"Thank you so much," She said emotionally. I was fighting hard not to tear up as well.

I shook Pete's hand and smiled. "You two take care, say goodbye to Jaxon for me."

Kim nodded and with one last smile I left the room.