Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Grace

Tristan seemed... friendly. That was the only way I could really describe him. He had a troubling past similar to mine, and oddly enough, that seemed to make him want to bond with me.

Not that I was complaining. I missed Jax and our late night talks so much.

"Why haven't you called me?" I wondered out loud.

"You don't have to ask me twice!" Tristan chirped from what sounded like right next to me.

I jerked my head back and banged it on my headboard.

"Tristan! Don't do that!" I scolded mildly.

"Sorry," He said sheepishly.

I laughed and shook my head. It was nice to have the company.

"So who were you talking to yourself about?" Tristan prodded me.

I could feel the blush on my cheeks. "No one, just a friend I met at the hospital."

Tristan stiffened beside me. "A boy?" he asked.

"Yeah, his name was Jaxon." I said, "Why, are you jealous?" I joked.

"No, just curious is all." He replied coolly. "I'm going to take a bath. You could join me if you like... I could wash your back." I could practically picture his eyebrows waggling.

I scrunched up my nose. "Don't be a pervert Tristan; I was just starting to like you."

He laughed as he walked out of the room. Sighing, I laid down on my bed.

"Life, you really do love throwing me curve balls don't you?" I muttered.

"It sure does." A familiar voice echoed. I recognized it immediately.

I shot up in surprise. I smiled so big I thought my cheeks might break.

"Hattie!" I cried, bouncing up and down happily.

"I think you hit the curve ball, squirt." She laughed as she hugged me.

"I can handle it." I said with a grin.

It turned out Dr. Hattie came to visit me before she left for her new job in Massachusetts.

"I'm so glad you came." I smiled at the ground as she held my hand.

"I had to check out the living conditions of this house, I didn't trust that social worker at all. Actually, I still don't trust him." Hattie sighed.