Chapter Fifty-Four

Chapter Fifty-Four
Grace

Jaxon and I rode in the car with a comfortable silence. I was just enjoying the fact that I was safe, and I was finally with the guy that I loved.

Breaking the silence, he started humming a song. He didn't seem like he realised he was doing it, so I started laughing a little, enjoying my own personal little concert.

We drove for what seemed like forever until the booming city turned into farmland and trees. I had always loved the country or even the suburbs and hoped that one day I would be able to own a house of my own out here.

He turned to face me with a small smile on his lips. My gaze rested on his mouth and I wanted nothing more than to kiss him in that moment. Before I could however, Jax leaned over and kissed me.

I swatted his arm playfully and scolded him, "Eyes on the road, mister."

"You know you wanted it," He responded slyly before returning his eyes to the country road in front of us.

"So any chance you'll give me a hint on where we're going?" I asked hopefully.

As I thought, he shook his head stubbornly and I rolled my eyes. It was sweet that he wanted to surprise me.

"I can't imagine it's too low-key if you're wearing a tux." I pondered, wondering where we were heading.

"Stop trying to guess or you'll ruin the surprise," He said, glaring at me playfully.

Twenty more minutes later we pulled off the main road, turning down a gravel one.

As we got closer, I could hear the sound of music and a large crowd.

My curiosity only got worse as he refused to acknowledge the noises.

Up ahead, the trees seemed to give way into a large clearing. I gasped in surprise when I saw that it was a large field that looked like a small town fair. There was a stage set up and a local band playing. There were fairy lights set up around the gazebo and a couple tables filled with delicious looking food with barbeques nearby.

"Where are we?" I asked him, hoping he would finally tell me.

He smiled at me happily when he saw how excited I was.

"We're a little early, but there's a town fair today and I thought you might want to come and see it with me. I hear they throw a big dance and it's always a hit around here... according to the old lady at the supermarket." He blushed, "I know you have to be back at a good time for your family night, but I thought it would be fun in the meantime."

I looked at the large group of people in front of the stage. I looked up at him and surprised him by kissing him sweetly.

"I love it. Let's get out and explore." I grinned. Before I could open my door, he caught my hand.

He surprised me by handing me a beautiful masquerade mask. It was white with gold glitter details.

"Why do we need these?" I asked excitedly.

He took out another mask, a pure black one and put it on his face.

"Because, darling. It's a masquerade." He smirked at me and if I wasn't sitting, I probably would have melted into a puddle.

There was a reason that millions of girls loved him.

But no one loved him the way that I did.

He insisted that I let him come around the car and open my door for me, the simple act making my heart flutter with gratefulness.