Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two
Grace

     I stared down at my food, wishing that I could hug my brother right now. Somehow, when I was blind I could picture him sitting beside me, comforting me. Now that I could see again, I knew he really wasn't there. I wished more than anything that I could hug my parents again. They'd know what to say to cheer me up.

"Sorry to bother you, sir." An Irish voice said nervously.

I froze. That voice was so familiar. I knew it like the back of my hand and for what seemed like forever I had been praying, wishing, and hoping that I'd hear it again.

And now I really was. I just had to be brave enough to look up and see if it was real.

"Let me guess, Jaxon Trent?" Michael asked with a laugh.

At his name, my head snapped up, unable to resist looking at his face.

His hair was tousled and blonde, his blue eyes were sparkling and he was looking at Michael with utter admiration.

Is he a fan? I wonder how Michael knows him...

At my sudden movement he turned his sharp, beautiful gaze onto my own and he froze.

His mouth dropped open and he blinked several times.

Is this really Jaxon? The boy I had been dreaming of since those nights at the hospital?

I knew it was, the way he looked at me with such sincerity and hope filled me with the kind of happiness I hadn't felt in a long time.

"J-Jaxon?" I stuttered, still unable to speak properly. I had honestly prepared myself to never see him again and yet here we were, in the most unlikely place.

Part of the reason I had wanted to go explore Los Angeles as soon as I got my sight back was that I could possibly run into him again. We hadn't even been home yet today. I continued to marvel at his soft skin, the way he looked at me with such admiration and tenderness.

Jaxon spoke again, "Grace," he paused in wonder, "you can see!"

I broke out into a huge grin, "Michael and Luisana adopted me. Hattie is Luisana's sister and they got me the operation on my eyes as soon as it was possible." She paused, blushing. "I can't believe you're really here."

I don't know how long I sat there just basking in the fact that he was really here. I watched him enthusiastically talk to my adoptive parents. I was snapped out of my reverie when a girl came barreling over and latched onto Jax's side.

We all turned to look at her with surprise. "And who might you be?" Luisana asked friendlily.

"I'm Lesley, Jaxon's girlfriend," She purred, eyeing me down spitefully.

This can't be happening.

Michael coughed as he and Luisana looked around awkwardly. Jaxon looked uncomfortable and I- I wasn't really sure what I was feeling at this moment. The girl- Lesley, stared me down and seemed to be calculating her next move.

It figures that someone as amazing as him would have a girlfriend. It should have been obvious, but unfortunately for me, I had been painfully oblivious. Jade continued to stare at me like I would somehow magically disappear. I raised my eyebrow at her.

"Nice to meet you... Lesley." I managed to say somewhat genuinely.

She laughed, abruptly turning to face Jax. She placed her hands on his chest and leaned forwards, whispering to him while looking up into his gorgeous blue eyes.