Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty
Grace

I jumped out of bed at seven AM the next morning and I hadn't slept a wink.

Jax had texted me telling me that he would be at my house as eight. I showered quickly and put on some makeup. I blow dried and straightened my hair and put on a pair of dark skinny jeans and a blue tank top.

By the time eight fifty-five rolled around, I was ready to throw up with nerves.

The doorbell rang and I ran down the stairs excitedly, despite everything that was going on. My man was finally home for his first visit back.

I threw open the door and couldn't help the wide grin that stretched across my face when I saw him standing there- he still looked the same, which shouldn't have come as a surprise considering he had only been gone two weeks. His golden hair was as soft looking as ever and his crystal blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. My eyes flicked down to his soft lips and – he wasn't smiling back at me.

I frowned, looking at him in confusion.

"Jaxon, what's going on?" I asked him worriedly.

He didn't say anything as he stepped inside, closing the door behind him.

"Jax, you're scaring me." I said quietly, sad that he didn't seem happy to see me at all.

He took a deep breath and pulled out a photo from his pocket.

It was a magazine article. In it was a picture of Kegan and I in my room. I was wearing only my underwear, and we looked like we were in a compromising position. We were staring wide eyed at the camera, as I tried to cover my body with my hands the best I could. Beside it, there was another picture of us at the party we had recently gone to- Kegan's hand was on my shoulder as he had been leading me to his friend to introduce me to them.

I stared at it in horror, who had taken that picture? I remembered the shadow I had thought I saw that night, following me. I shuddered when I realized that I most likely had not imagined it.

The headline on the article was in big, bold red letters.

JAXON'S INNOCENT PRINCESS OR TWO TIMING VIXEN? YOU DECIDE

I stared at in horror, then looked up at his face and froze in dread when it looked like there was accusation in his eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked him, starting to feel defensive. I had done nothing wrong, nothing that would compromise our relationship in any way.

"Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, after all." He said darkly.

I gaped at him, not understanding how he could believe something he had read in a magazine of all places.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I gritted out, trying not to lose my patience.

He shrugged, "I believe you're the one who needs to elaborate here, not me."

I looked at him, not understanding who the boy standing in front of me was.

"I haven't done anything wrong..." I said quietly.

Hurt flashed in his eyes before it quickly vanished and his stony mask reappeared. "Lesley saw you at a pub with Kegan before this magazine article was released. She said you two were really close. She saw him kiss you." He said, emotionless.

I gave a short laugh out of pure outrage but stopped immediately when I realized I knew what this horrible rumour may have stemmed from.

He must have seen it in my eyes because he looked crushed.

"So it is true." He said, emotionless. His voice was dead. It sent shivers down my spine.

I rolled my eyes, "No! Of course it's not true. I could never do something like that to you; I love you more than anything. I can't believe you actually think I would. Yes, Kegan and I went out to a pub, but his girlfriend was also there. He took me there to cheer me up because I missed you. He told me that he thinks of me as a little sister, and he gave me a kiss on the cheek. That was all." I said honestly.

He looked like he might have believed me for a moment before he glanced back down at the magazine photos and his walls flew back up.

"Regardless, I came here to tell you that I need to focus on my music." His voice shook a little before he took a deep breath.

I stared at him in horror, "No Jax, please don't do this. I love you," I whispered, my heart hammering in my chest.

"It's over, Grace." He murmured, his voice breaking when he said my name.

"Why are you doing this?" I cried, heartbroken.

He gave me one last lingering look before he walked out my front door and out of my life.

I stared at the French doors for a good minute before the sobs overtook me, and I crouched close to the floor as I hugged my knees tightly.

I couldn't believe that something like a magazine article could plant so many seeds of doubt into someone's head. It was truly poisonous.

He was gone. I was alone.

�g;G��t