Chapter 1

Shirou stood in front of the monitor going over the results.

"There is no doubt about it. Oripathy is the result of the rampant mana in the form of Originium interacting with unawakened prana circuits inside people."

Rin was overlooking the three specimens they had- one small mineral of Originium after a Catastrophe, one fragment collected from infected, and one refined ore used to power technology. On the other side of the table was a single gem from her own stockpile.

All four brimmed with power at different levels but proved one thing.

"These Catastrophes are the violent discharge of Originium when condensed beyond a threshold. The question is how ambient mana became so volatile?"

"It's not about density." Shirou tapped another monitor showing the molecular structure of Originium. "Something else is making the mana particularly turbulent. Refining them stabilizes for use, but it doesn't take away the volatility inside them. Possibly why this world is so reliant on it despite the negative effects on their people."

"Tsk. Awakening prana circuits is one thing, but to do so violently upon contact with raw Originium just spells death. It's like going from 0 to 100 immediately. The body just can't handle the stress." Rin groaned.

Watching so-called "Originium Arts" users made Rin pull on her hair. New infected rampantly using their awakened abilities from the get-go burned themselves out. Infected civilians were safer, but their latent circuits were still producing unstable prana and leaking out through their bodies in the form of Originium crystals. The best method was to manage the volatile energy by training the body to adapt without overexerting.

It was a delicate process to balance the amount of Oripathy in the body. Too little use and it will burden the body, too much and the Originium begins to destabilize. It doesn't help that activated circuits require ambient mana in the form of Originium to produce prana. Od doesn't balance the volatile energy coming in.

"Something is wrong with this world. What kind of past event could trigger such a change?" Shirou mumbled quietly.

"Or it might be the natural way of things in this world. This is Terra, not Earth."

Zelretch had dropped the two of them into another dimension again. Rin wasn't sure if it was a prank or not, but the Wizard Marshal wasn't so petty as to do it without reason. His time was important.

Perhaps this was a test then?

"Rin, we're opening soon."

Sakura appeared from the workshop's doorway.

"Yeah, yeah. Shirou, can you start tracing some gems? We're getting low on stock again."

Shirou quietly started creating batches of gems. Normally the materialized objects would require his energy to counter the erosion of being "illegitimate" objects, but that didn't happen on Terra.

Terra was another planet, therefore Gaia's influence didn't exist here.

Not only that, but the traced objects were constructed with a combination of Od and Originium-related properties from the atmosphere. Essentially, Shirou was converting one substance into another, making them technically count as legitimate objects.

Rin walked from the basement to the front of their small clinic and peered through the shutters. It was 7 am and a long line of infected people had already queued up. As usual, all of them were there for treatment. A so-called "miracle" by the masses of infected when the two opened a small clinic in Chernobog.

"Rin, everything's ready." The voice of Shirou came from the hallway.

Sakura positioned herself at the receptionist's desk. Shirou arrived holding the first crate of gems. Rin flicked the closed sign on the clinic door.