Chapter 13

Kal'tsit was busy going over the previous day's deals with a couple of suppliers from Lungmen. To keep their cover, Rhodes Island laid low and reached out to a few companies to conduct business with. They had to make it look like they weren't making any suspicious moves behind the LGD- which they were.

She was double-checking the report when a tapping noise interrupted her. Kal'tsit turned to the balcony doors and saw a bird with a message tied to its leg. She quickly walked to the doors and nudged them open to let the messenger inside. Within a few moments, the contents were read and Kal'tsit was calling the Rhodes Island team.

Rin was about to deliver their contact.

.

.

.

Rin and Sakura had not been idle.

The grey-haired girl looked at her hands in wonder. The dark minerals that had plagued her body for years were gone. Just like that, she was no longer infected. Her wide eyes looked up at the two women who appeared a few hours prior.

The black-haired one was looking outside the window of the wrecked shelter while the younger one was playing with the children. Just like her, their Oripathy had been treated.

"It won't be perfect. We cannot remove all the Originium inside your body."

It may not have been perfect, but it was still the greatest gift she had ever received. The children didn't know it yet, but they now had a chance at a better life outside the Lungmen slums.

"Nee-san! Can you make her do tricks again?" The small girl requested excitedly at the violet-haired woman.

Sakura smiled and willed the small female doe in her hands- a white magical construct- to trot across her arms and leap on top of the children's heads in a graceful dance. The three children watched with awe at the graceful performance before it galloped into the air around them.

"Wahhhh, so beautiful!" Another one cried out.

The grey-haired girl smiled at the scene.

"Thank you, Miss Rin." She expressed her gratitude with a bow to the elder between the two doctors. What else could she call them? They had performed a miracle.

"It was nothing." Not that it mattered much to her. Rin had treated hundreds in the past few months with the same disease. But she understood the value it had to their eyes. An incurable disease, gone in a blink of an eye, all for free.

"...is there really no other choice?"

"No. Their safety is not guaranteed if we bring them along." Rin explained.

"..."

The girl known as Misha looked at the three children she had been taking care of.

"Know that they will not be left behind. There is another group working with us. They can house the children while we protect you."

Rin was still considering how to break the news to Kal'tsit. They had to promise Misha and the orphans safety to guarantee her trust and cooperation. She had been chased by the LGD and the Reunion in the past few days and fights had begun where the two sides met. The Reunion had formed some form of stronghold in the slums and the LGD were sending in numerous teams to combat them.

Rhodes Island couldn't protect the girl- the LGD had their eyes on them. Which meant that Misha was going to join the sisters in hiding. Now, the problem was how to inform Kal'tsit about the three wards. There was also the problem with transportation. Rin and Sakura could cast spells to decrease their presence to a degree- turning them invisible to people's attention. It also helped that Sakura's familiars were able to distract and draw attention away from them.