Chapter 16

=== LUNGMEN'S WALLS ===

"These are the housing facilities." Ch'en guided them through the building. "These are where all the infected asylum seekers are housed when they try to enter Lungmen."

Mostima and Fiammetta remained quiet at seeing the hundreds of infected being held in what was effectively a prison. They didn't comment on it, Laterano being guilty of exiling infected Laterano citizens themselves.

"Ma'am Ch'en." The guards greeted as they arrived at one of the multi-purpose rooms.

"Are the volunteers in the rooms?" Ch'en inquired.

"Yes, ma'am. 10 asylum seekers from Chernobog as per your instructions."

"Good work. Return to your post."

The guard saluted Ch'en and left the chief and two representatives.

"Once again, we thank you for your assistance, Miss Ch'en." Fiammetta expressed her gratitude. "It would've been difficult to reach the Chernobog citizens without your help."

Searching for Chernobog citizens on Lungmen's social sites would've taken longer. This way was much faster.

"It's no problem." Ch'en replied. In fact, it also helped her motives. This was an indirect way of digging more into the connection between Rhodes Island and Einzbern Enterprises.

Why was a suspicious Chernobog-based company sending money to Rhodes Island?

The trio entered the first room. It was empty aside from the simple table and chairs set out for them and the volunteer.

"You are the one they call Ma'am Ch'en? The LGD's chief?" The gruff elder asked.

"Correct." Ch'en confirmed while she sat down across him with the Laterano representatives.

"Huh, so we weren't getting scammed then. I was sure they were bullshitting me." He admitted. "They said that you would reconsider our requests based on what we can provide when Chernobog fell."

"That's right."

"...and pray tell why you want to ask us? We were just escaping. Most of us here would report the same thing to you about the damned Reunion bastards invading the city."

"Would you be more cooperative if we could lend you assistance?" Fiammetta spoke up.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"She means money." Mostima smiled.

They would report to their superiors what the money was for. Considering how important the mission was, they would probably even write the two a blank check just to guarantee some progress.

"We don't know if Lungmen would accept you, but money should give you a chance to move elsewhere."

Ch'en looked at the two representatives. She could work with this.

"Okay. What do you want to know?"

"Were there any unusual incidents in Chernobog? Aside from the Reunion's invasion." Fiammetta asked. She pulled out her phone to note down the information.

"Unusual? Heck yeah, there fucking was."

"What was it?"

"Months before the invasion, a new Oripathy clinic opened in Chernobog."

Ch'en frowned.

"Oripathy clinic?"

"It was a miracle, it was. They actually treated Oripathy. Without them, my daughter would've been dead."