Chapter 8

=== RHODES ISLAND ===

When the Rhodes Island team arrived at the park, it was already occupied.

Dobermann observed the regrouping brigade and shared her analysis.

"They're unsettled. The soldiers are scared and are barely keeping it together."

"Can't blame them. I would be too if that was my first time seeing a cluster bomb of that kind." Ace rumbled. "That one is leagues beyond any I've seen before."

"Leagues...?" Amiya whispered.

"Cluster bombs are small. They have to be, because they are carried in a larger container until they are deployed. But for a cluster bomb to cover that large an area and have that much power..." Ace grunted.

"Insanity. It's insanity." One of the operators cried.

"How did Chernobog even get their hands on such a weapon? They're a small city." Dobermann couldn't believe such firepower was even sold to them. Chernobog wasn't a rich city by any means. In fact, they relied on supplying minerals and resources. Chernobog wasn't a major commercial hub like Lungmen.

"Who knows." Ace grumbled.

"Look, they're now moving." Dobermann pointed out.

True enough, the brigades in the park started heading east, further away from the devastated city blocks.

"Doctor, what do we do next?" Amiya turned to their strategist.

"We wait for half an hour. We make our move once we're sure they're far away." The Doctor commanded.

...

Half an hour later, the Rhodes Island detachment moved.

As they crossed through the street, Reunion spies left in the area caught them in their sights.

"Inform Commander Faust that unknown paramilitary forces have been spotted in the area." One soldier reported to his superior. They were supposed to be looking for a suspicious lone archer present in the area, but information like this would be appreciated.

.

.

.

"Commander Faust, an unknown paramilitary group has been spotted in the area." The radio buzzed.

Faust grabbed the device and replied back.

"What do they look like?"

"Dressed in blue and black sir. They were spotted in the park you just left."

Mephisto exchanged looks with Faust.

"Eh? Rhodes Island?" His friend asked.

Faust wanted to avoid trouble.

"Leave them. They are not our priority."

"That won't do! We have to go meet them!" Mephisto reprimanded Faust.

"Mephisto. The unknown archer is still in the area. We must play it safe." He urged.

"Fine then. Let's inform Talulah before we capture those backstabbing scum." Mephisto smiled.

"Mephi-"

"Talulah, Rhodes Island has been spotted in the north. We are moving in." His friend radioed on the officer's channel.

"Good. Don't let them escape." Came their leader's response.

Faust frowned. What was the point? They weren't even part of the conflict.