Chapter 5

"I can't believe she didn't bother."

Red's ears perked at those words. She turned sideways and looked at the feline complaining.

Now that the mission had ended, the group was on the airship heading back to Rhodes Island a day after the operation. Scout and Pith were napping, Skadi was staring out the window in thought, Ace was listening to Blaze complain about food of all things.

"Blaze, we were on a mission." Ace sighed.

"But the food smelled so good! The rest of you may be too far to smell it but we definitely did! Right, Red? We were both staring at the soup kitchen!"

Red certainly picked up on the smell from their position. The two of them had been stationed on a second floor overlooking the clinic street. The scent was guaranteed to reach them from their proximity.

That wasn't the reason she was staring at the soup kitchen though.

Because unlike Blaze, her attention was not on food...

But on the strong predator hiding in the midst of sheep.

.

.

.

The man smiled as he served another civilian soup.

He was different from the rest.

Red could feel it.

Like a hidden blade inside a sheath, only drawn in the presence of a threat.

Just as her eyes locked on to him, his also locked on to hers the moment he appeared.

Bronze against Yellow.

Steel against Fang.

Sword against Wolf.

Red tilted her head with interest.

While not on the same level as her Grandma, his aura was still silent and deadly.

Strong.

Dangerous.

His bearing was not that far from a wolf. More like a hunter. A fellow predator.

Just as she regarded him, he regarded her.

Two sides respecting each other. No aggression exchanged, only intention.

You shall not harm these people.

Red didn't intend to, but the man still projected his intent.

A warning.

From one assassin to another.

.

.

.

Red asked if she could stay behind to meet the doctor after the operation. Unfortunately, she was prohibited from lingering inside Chernobog. The situation in the city was relatively stable, but Reunion activities in the background could turn that around quickly.

"I will see if I can buy food next time."

Kal'tsit hadn't tried the food they offered during their visit. Not out of pride, but because they were focused on the objective. Now that contact had been established, more options were open to Rhodes Island.

Unbeknownst to the other members, Kal'tsit had bought a month's stock of Shirou's brew from the clinic. Rin had introduced the stress-relieving brew to the overworked leader and Kal'tsit could never imagine returning to her old brew after one try. The shipment was going to be sent directly to Rhodes Island a week after their meeting.