Chapter 4

A few hours after the meeting with Shirou.

...

"You can't remember anything? Anything at all?"

That was the 5th team Faust had questioned.

"N-none...sir?"

The small number of Reunion forces stationed around the abandoned hideout had returned an hour behind the two commanders. Both Faust and FrostNova interrogated the arriving teams about the retreat.

None of them could remember what happened during the one hour gap they were incapacitated for. All woke up without injuries and continued on as normal- although slightly confused as to why they were all asleep.

FrostNova clicked her tongue.

The atmosphere around her was colder than usual despite her efforts to weaken her Arts. Clearly, her displeased attitude was affecting the strength of her power.

"How could they all be taken out of action at the same time?"

It didn't make any sense to her. The Reunion forces were split apart over a wide area. Nobody could have knocked them all out in such a short period without at least working in tandem with other teams. Unlikely as it was, it seemed that the Fuyuki Clinic had more than just reconnaissance under their belt.

How could such a small clinic have this much firepower?!

Faust was beginning to think that his idea to build a relationship with the clinic had backfired horribly. He did it out of consideration for their men, but after the meeting with Shirou- he couldn't help but reconsider.

"FrostNova...what do we do?" He was simply stumped. "Do we tell Talulah or not?"

"We play along with him for now." FrostNova answered with a straight face. "We need to find out more about what his intentions are. The longer we interact, the more we can learn about them."

She was tackling the situation personally. Sharing about the issue to Talulah was an option, but if she dealt with it silently, then her and Patriot's faction would have the upper hand.

It only helped that Faust was indecisive and inexperienced in tackling problems like this.

"For now, don't withdraw your men from the clinic. Keep them there so that Shirou knows we're still keeping our presence. Despite how ineffective that has been."

Shirou and the group behind the Fuyuki Clinic had completely routed the Reunion operation meant for them. In other words, a power play. It was the only reasonable conclusion. Intercepting a retreating group to force a meeting was a waste of manpower.

Even if the Reunion declined such a request, most parties would've stepped back and respected the revolutionary's decision. Nobody wanted to piss off the rebels.

"Do we really have to share all the information with District 1? Not even the underworld requests information about a city district in particular. They are only concerned about the Chernobog government."

District 1- Chernobog's Government district. Though for some odd reason, Shirou was interested in not the government- but the area.

FrostNova closed her eyes while contemplating the request.

"If anything, it means that the group behind the Fuyuki Clinic are not allied to Chernobog. Whoever they are, they are after something else inside the city."

But what?

That, they would both have to find out.