Chapter 10

The smoke dispersed and another volley of arrows slammed into his position.

Shirou responded with his own volley. The enemy crossbowmen were using steel bolts. Though each one packed significantly more punch than a simple arrow, Shirou's reinforced arrows were enough to deflect them midair. Once it was clear that the attempt was thwarted, the smokescreen rushed back in. Shirou stepped sideways to dodge the dagger thrown at him, catching the projectile and flinging it back to intercept the second one.

It was slow progress, but he was drawing the Reunion further away from the docks.

From what Shirou could see, the snipers were maneuvering to surround him. They could only use the streets on the ground to move around which hampered their movement. Each time Shirou relocated, so would his pursuers.

Speaking of which...

Shirou tensed his legs to prepare for the surge of pain as he pumped them full of contaminated energy. He sprinted to the other side of the rooftop and leapt. Once he was halfway over the gap, the smokescreen broke and Shirou took the opportunity to gulp down as much oxygen as he could. The Reunion fighter behind him switched their approach once it was obvious that fighting was not optimal. So, they resorted to using the smokescreen to suffocate him.

The red-haired assassin burst out the smoke cloud as she chased after him. A few knives flew his way but Shirou sidestepped the projectiles and headed for the next building. He leapt over another gap and rolled to soften his landing. This time, there were Reunion soldiers on the roof. They were supposed to be part of the encirclement, but unfortunately for them, Shirou intended to break through.

Shouts erupted as they engaged him. Shirou parried two swords with his steel bow and kicked one of the fighters in the knee to drop him. He twisted his bow to disengage the two weapons before spinning the longbow and smacked the bow's edges into their faces. He spun around in a circle to trip the rest of the attackers using his weapon. They bowled over each other and Shirou sprinted past them just as his red-haired pursuer arrived.

"You're going have to try harder than that." Shirou stated as if it was a fact.

The girl behind him only glared harder in response. The archer she had been chasing kept conversing with her almost as if she wasn't after his life.

"I'm going to kill you harder the more you talk."

"That's the spirit."

A dagger flew past his head.

Shirou wasn't the kind of person to antagonize others. But maybe there was some merit to Archer's style of emotional damage.

.

.

.

Faust clutched the crossbow in his hands.

Despite his men's best attempts to pump their target full of steel, all were rebuffed with ease. Crownslayer was also similarly ineffective. The assassin was left alone to impede his movement, which she was finding difficult.

"I need more support! I can't stop him at all!" Crownslayer's voice hissed on the radio.

Faust looked at his fellow commander.

"Don't look at me. I'm not allowed to turn Reunion into my mutants unless they're nearly dead." Mephisto shrugged. "And Patriot is here. I can't turn prisoners either. He'd hang me before Talulah could even stop him."

"I was only going to ask if you had turned any dying people into your herd." Faust mumbled. "Yeah, Mephisto can't do anything. Do we have anyone else nearby?" He replied on the radio.