Chapter 20

When Dallas woke up I was sitting downstairs on a bar stool. I put my head down onto the cold marble of the counter.

I was delirious and couldn't think straight. And I had fallen over multiple times when I stood up because of the exhaustion.

"You can't do anything to control it. I know you want to, but you can't. I know this might not be what you want to hear, but it's what you need to hear." Dallas sighed.

"Go away...." I grumbled, I knew he was right but I didn't want to accept it.

He cursed under his breath. He was trying to hide his frustration. "Come on." He lightly grabbed my arm.

I raised my head up, glancing at Dallas. "Sorry... I- I'm sorry. I just can't think." I sighed, looking at him, rubbing my eyes.

"Don't be sorry, let's just go to see Soda and Elora." Dally said.

"I can not go like this... " I looked at him. "I'm already snapping at you. Elora and Soda don't need that."

"Elora needs support from her friend, she won't want to be alone in this. And you know I won't be good at that." Dallas glanced at me.

"I know.." I sighed.

"Fine let's go." I said, standing up, swaying slightly on my feet.

Dallas pulled me close so I could use him for support.

"I-... we should just go.." I said, walking quickly so I wouldn't fall over.

He nodded, following behind me.

When we got to Soda's I leaned against Dallas's side so I wouldn't fall over.

"Hey." I smiled softly, sitting down next to Soda and Elora.

Dallas wrapped his arms around my lower stomach, knowing I would fall off the couch.

I swallowed. "Elora how are you feeling?" I asked.

"I'm alright, how about you?" Elora asked.

"Okay.. I haven't slept but that's besides the point. Any news from your Aunt?" I asked, glancing up at Dallas before looking back at her.

"No, she went down to the police station to check some things out a while ago."

I nodded. "Oh.. that's great."

"Hopefully, everything will turn out okay."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah.."

I slumped, almost passing out again. I felt Dally's arms around my waist and his chin resting on the top of my head.

"Hang in there...." He mumbled softly to me.

Soda shot a quick look of concern. Elora stood up. "Anyone want water?"

I nodded "Yes, please."

Soda shook his head so I went into the kitchen and poured two cups of water, one for me, and one for herself.

"How are you holding up Elora?" I asked looking at her.

"As well as can be expected,
I guess." She chuckled. She handed me the cup of water.

"Thank you." I said, Taking a sip of the water.

"No problem." Elora smiled softly.

"Do you know anything more? " Dallas asked.

I signed, rubbing my eyes. This was probably the longest I'd come without sleeping well, including when I was in the church.

Dallas nodded. "How are you doing with all this Soda?" I asked.

"I'm alright, I'm focused on protecting Elora." He said, pulling her closer to him instinctively.

I smiled softly at them. "I don't think he'll come in a few days, so we have time to get information."

"Not a lot." Elora mumbled.

"But some."

"Yeah..."

Then the front door opened and Darry walked inside. "What's going on?" He asked.

Soda sighed. "A lot."

"A lot more than a lot." Dallas grumbled.

Elora was leaning against Soda, she didn't sleep very well last night and was hoping it wasn't showing, but she closed my eyes and slowly drifted off.

Dallas and Darry talked for a few minutes, I wasn't listening. I was too tired to listen, I was too delirious and sleep deprived.

~ Dallas' POV
"I'm worried about Callie.." I sighed.

"Yeah... she hasn't been sleeping well has she?" Soda asked, sitting down onto Buck's couch next to me.

"Nope. She can't even stand up straight." I drank from the beer bottle in my hand.

"Poo girl," Soda frowned. "She's had a hard week...I know she's worried about Elora."

I sighed. "Speaking of Elora, don't you have to take her to her Aunt's?"

"Crap! Yeah! Good luck Dal!" Soda ran out the door.

I finished my beer, walking upstairs. I opened the door to my bedroom, Callie was passed out on my bed.

I chuckled, sitting down onto the bed next to her. I moved the hair out of my face, my fingertips brushing her cheek. My eyes were drawn to the faded bruise where Sylvia had punched her.

I sighed, pulling Callie into my lap, her head resting against my chest.

"Hmm?" Callie blinked, looking up at me, her light blue eyes clouded from sleep.

"Finally sleep huh doll?" I smirked, kissing the top of her head.

She nodded, smiling softly at me.

God she's adorable I thought, kissing Callie softly.

"Shouldn't we go check on Elora?" Callie asked,  looking at me, moving out of my embrace.

"But-" I sighed. I haven't been able to be alone with my own girlfriend in a week, maybe more. But I cared about Callie and could tell she was having a hard time with this.

"Fine let's go." I stood up, running my hands through my hair.

"I'm going to drop you off, then let Two know where you are." "I've been meaning to talk with him anyway." I said, following her downstairs.

She looked back at me and nodded in agreement. I wanted to hold her in my arms, keep her safe from her anxieties and nightmares.

But you can't always protect angels from the devil himself.

Chapter 20: 955 words