Chapter 1: The Girl Who Gave Up

A lot is expected of a woman in Westeros. One has to be kind, but not too kind otherwise you're trying too hard. One has to smile at all times, even if all you want to do is scream your head off. One has to be tough, but not too harsh. One must know when it is their place to speak, even if you're the only voice of reason in the room.

It was a tricky battle for Princess Naerys Velaryon, daughter of Ser Laenor Velyaron and Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen. She always felt like she was on trial for something at all times, even amongst her own family.

Naerys was born just like her younger brothers, dark brown hair and brown eyes to match. A vast difference from the striking Valyrian features of her parents. She was the eldest of four, only two years separating her and her eldest brother, Jacaerys Velaryon. Naerys was the eldest child, meaning she was her mother's heir based on the declaration the king made upon her mother's marriage.

Jace hated that his sister was the heir and not him. He trained with a sword, he studied every last one of his lessons, worked overtime to learn High Valyrian, and to top it all off: he had a dragon. Naerys didn't.

Yet she was their mother's heir.

Her egg was a beautiful orange color when she received it in her cradle. When the egg never hatched, Naerys grew up carrying it around wherever she went. Eventually, Laenor had noticed and had decided to show her the "Velaryon roots" she comes from as well: the sea. Something to take her mind off of being the only one of her siblings without a dragon.

Laenor wasn't as involved with his sons, but he made the effort with his daughter when he saw what an outsider she was becoming over the years. Their second son, Luecerys, was born and suddenly Jace had someone else to help him in teasing their sister. By the time her third brother, Joffrey, was born, Luke was his older brother's second in pulling pranks on his sister, though sometimes even he thought Jace took it too far.

The girl already suffered enough torment from her uncles, she didn't need more from her brothers. Laenor taught her how to sail, eventually she became quite a natural being on a ship, and she could escape her brothers and uncles' torment, even for a short time.

If the skies wouldn't have her, the sea would welcome her with open arms.

Although as Naerys got older, Laenor sailed with her less and less, and grew attached to a fellow knight, Ser Qarl, instead. Naerys didn't really go anywhere near a boat when he stopped showing up for her.

Around this time, Naerys had managed to piece together who her true father was: Ser Harwin Strong. She'd made the foolish mistake of asking her mother for the truth, but Rhaenyra lied and told her that her being a Targaryen was all that mattered. She didn't care if he was, she cared to just have someone who wouldn't lie to her or hurt her.

So Naerys became strategic. If Harwin was her father, then the Hand of the King was her grandfather as well. She became the king's cupbearer at age 10, attending every council meeting and keeping a close eye on Lord Lyonel Strong, her grandfather. After each meeting, she'd follow him back to his chambers and learn more.

Lyonel was apprehensive about the girl spending time with him. He didn't want to risk their lives from the truth of her bloodline. As time went on, he grew to love the child. He saw a little girl all alone in a big castle just looking for a friend.

So every day, when the sun would shine its highest, Lyonel would have tea with the princess and teach her about politics and histories. He would make sure she was prepared for when it was her turn to rule. The man was always hard on his son for his affair with the princess, but Lyonel couldn't deny that he didn't want to miss one day of tea with his granddaughter.