Chapter 28: The Girl Who Was Stolen From

Prince Qoren Martell was a kind, loving man, who'd spent nearly his entire time in power trying to make his nation prosperous and peaceful. He was close with his family, especially after his lady wife had passed from a fever many years ago.

There was apprehension from him when he'd received a raven many years ago from a fifteen year old dragon princess, practically begging for his son's hand in marriage. His curiosity would always get the better of him though.

Upon meeting the princess, he was surprised to see such a timid, anxious girl instead of the brazen young woman who had more to say in her letter than in person. He was expecting the stepdaughter of the notorious Rogue Prince to be out of control and hot tempered, but he was wrong.

Qoren was hesitant to accept the offer at first. He'd fought alongside the Triarchy against Prince Daemon and his men in the Stepstones, so needless to say there would always be some lingering bad blood between the two men.

There would never be any between Qoren and Naerys, however. When his son had pulled aside Princess Rhaenyra to ask for Naerys' hand in marriage, he knew Naerys would be his family whether he agreed or not. His son would promise to refuse any other offer if he couldn't have Naerys, leaving Qoren with no choice.

The only stipulation Qoren had with their marriage is that Dorne would become a part of the 7 kingdoms when it was Naerys' turn to take the throne. Though after the passing of Prince Qyle and Prince Aerys, that deal became null and void.

Qoren carried so much guilt every day since he'd lost his son and grandchildren. There were countless letters he'd received from Naerys since his departure to the Stepstones, begging him to end the fighting her grandfather, Lord Corlys, took a part in, but he'd dismissed her cautions as her being overly paranoid. Until she wasn't. He'd returned to Dorne with the bodies and held Naerys as she screamed and begged for her family back. Never once stepping foot back in the Stepstones.

He'd always had a soft spot for Naerys, even considering her as his own daughter. When he'd returned from the Saltshore that morning, his two daughters were quick to inform him of Naerys' return, along with the "guests" she'd brought with her.

Aliandra and Coryanne had filled their father in on everything they'd learned of the Targaryen family and the encounters they'd had in King's Landing, which neither had told their father about in the first place.

His frustrations with his daughters sneaking off to King's Landing was quickly overshadowed when he heard his eldest daughter tell him of a silver prince who kept Naerys safe. For the most part.

Qoren had heard many tales of Prince Aemond over the years. Some whispers that traveled from the outside realm, some from his own daughters, but the one that always stuck out the most was the one he'd heard from Naerys herself. A tale of a dagger covered in blood, and an eye forever lost.

He was skeptical of the prince's intentions to say the least, even if the boy had protected Naerys. He found it hard to believe the boy merely wanted the girl's hand in marriage. There had to be something else behind it. Some sort of twisted revenge.

Yet when he saw the prince hold out Naerys' chair before they joined the rest of them for breakfast, he found himself focused on the strange, silver man. His dark eyes remained on the younger prince the entire time, studying the boy intently.

"I believe an introduction has been lost between us." Qoren said with his playful eyes narrowed at Aemond, who stiffly nodded his head.

"Prince Aemond Targaryen." Aemond answered.

"Ah, a pleasure to meet you, Prince Aemon." Qoren half grinned when he saw Aemond press his lips into a thin line.

"Aemond, my prince." Aemond gritted through his teeth, trying to sound as cordial as he could through his irritation.