Chapter 6: The Girl Who Wouldn't Be Put Down

There were few safe spaces left in the Red Keep for Naerys. Ones without prying eyes or listening ears. She sought them out just as she did as a girl, but now she had no one.

The two people who she felt safe with in King's Landing were her father and grandfather, but they were dead now. Daemon and Rhaenyra were all she had, but the king and queen had requested their presence for the day, leaving Naerys all alone in a dangerous place.

But since the queen was occupied, she wasn't around to try to give any commands to the guards.

So it would give her a perfect chance to do some digging. She wanted to put a stop to this wedding, but she didn't know how. She still didn't even know why he wanted to marry her so badly in the first place. There was someone who might know though. Someone who was constantly overlooked by everyone.

Helaena.

The doors to Helaena's chambers opened for Naerys and sitting on a couch, doing her needlework was Princess Helaena while her children played on the floor.

Naerys' breath caught in the back of her throat when she saw the young twins playing with their wooden dragons, but the youngest caught her attention. Little Maelor, only three years old, was clapping his hands and giggling while the maids doted on him.

"Niece." Helaena spoke up cheerfully, pulling Naery's attention back to her aunt. "You look better now."

Naerys bowed her head politely as her cheeks blushed. "As do you, princess."

"Come, sit. I was just finishing this for my mother." Helaena patted the seat beside her and scooted over as Naerys cautiously took the seat. Her aunt noticed the hesitant look in Naery's eyes so she gave her a reassuring smile. "I'm not like them, Naerys...you need not be afraid of me."

"Forgive me, princess, but those are just words." Naerys said, but it didn't deter Helaena's optimism.

"Words used to mean the world to you from one." Helaena shrugged and Naerys' face fell completely. Her aunt was right. They used to. "I hate him too, if that helps. Though I will say, there is some mercy in marrying my other brother."

Naerys' eyebrows raised in surprise. What in seven hells was she even talking about? What possible mercy would there be in being under the same roof as them all once again?

"He won't let anyone else touch you. My brother has always been very territorial about his things." Helaena laughed quietly to herself as she went back to her needlework.

"I am not a 'thing'...I'm a person...the fucking heir to the throne, yet I am being treated like a broodmare." Naerys grumbled to herself as she crossed her arms in her lap.

"But still a woman, nonetheless." Helaena mumbled sadly under her breath, understanding her niece's feelings more than most would. The older princess placed a gentle hand over Naerys' and gave a sad smile. "I wish I had someone to save me as well, niece, but that is not the way of things for us."

"So, what? I just endure it? Take it as it's given? That doesn't sound like a life worth living."

Helaena glanced over at her children fondly. "There are some positives to look forward to..."

Naerys bit the inside of her cheek at the idea of being pregnant again, but this time...with Aemond's child. She could feel the knots turning in her stomach as she pictured it.

There wasn't much choice for her with producing an heir since she would be Queen one day. But he wasn't who she wanted at her side. It wasn't his children she wanted. She wanted her late husband back now more than ever. He would know what to say...he'd know what to do.