Chapter 16: The Boy Who Was Greedy

For many years Aemond thought of nothing but a girl with hateful brown eyes. He thought of how those same eyes cried as a blade was dragged along his face. How they were full of so much fire he had never seen from his niece.

He hated her for what she'd made him, but he especially hated her for what she did to him in that dusty, blue room. He hated that she made him want her. He hated that he saw those hateful brown eyes lit with flames of desire for him.

He hated that he desired her more than anything.

He hated that she didn't join him back in their chambers after their passionate encounter. He'd declined his mother's invitation for supper and instead waited in his own chambers. Waiting for his wife's return.

He waited for hours, but she never came. The servants had come and cleared out the untouched food while he just sat at the end of the table, staring at an empty chair across from him.

He didn't know what to feel. Anger for her not returning to him and giving him an explanation for earlier. An explanation for how she could so easily claim him and then leave him so easily.

Though mostly, he felt hollow inside. How could she just walk away from him like it was nothing? After she'd claimed him as her own.

Why did he want her to stay?

By nightfall, she still hadn't returned and he had almost every guard looking for her. He went looking through Maegor's hidden tunnels and when he came up empty, he was starting to worry.

Was she safe?

He'd checked the dungeons, still seeing Aegon huddled in a corner, unconscious by two rotting guards.

Had his words truly hurt her?

He'd checked the balcony near Ser Harwin's former chambers, but she wasn't curled up as usual on the stone ledge.

Had he scared her away?

There were no ships that had left, none setting sail for Dorne or Dragonstone.

He returned to his chambers with his mind scattered all over the place. The only light coming from the flames of the fireplace, but reflecting onto the very woman he'd spent all night looking for. All day waiting for.

She sat up in their bed under the blankets, reading a small book in her lap. She wore a black silk nightgown, much like the one he'd seen her in the night before. Her hair was pushed to one side, draped over her shoulder and giving him a perfect view of her neck. He was already forgetting his anger, already thinking of how badly he wanted to rip that gown from her body so he could watch her ride him again.

"Where were you?" He asked in a husky voice, hands tied behind his back.

She didn't even look up from her book as she flipped the page with her voice remaining calm and casual, as if nothing had transpired between them. "Whatever do you mean, my lord husband? I've been here, waiting for your return."

His jaw clenched, teeth grinding harshly against each other. There was that annoying pest he married. Always a bigger thorn in his side than anything else. He walked towards the foot of the bed, waiting for her to look up at him, but she wouldn't. She just continued reading, casually flipping through the pages like he wasn't even there.

"Where. Were. You?" His eye narrowed as he watched her, inspecting every inch of her like he'd never done before. He'd never noticed how radiant her skin looked in the light. Those hands that gripped his throat with such force now looked so delicate with each turn of a page.