Chapter 36: The Girl Who Was Betrayed

The waves were warm, calm under the cloudy gray sky. It was quiet, too quiet for the sea Naerys believed. Nothing but the dark, dreary waters she floated through. It was eerily peaceful, but she found herself slipping away as the waves gracefully carried her.

The wind started to pick up, slowly with just a slight breeze that tickled her nose until it gradually built to send the waves crashing over each other. Screams echoed around her, with no coherent words, but a sense of doom filling her with each one that rang in her ears. What was happening?

She started to swim away from the storm building, but it felt useless. Each wave would swallow her whole just to spit her out seconds later, pushing her right back towards the storm.

She could feel the water forcing its way down her throat, filling her lungs as she begged for a breath of relief. The tide pulled her around faster and faster with no end in sight, until she felt something grab her ankles, yanking her abruptly under the water.

Whatever light remained was rapidly vanishing from her sight with her vision beginning to spin until there was a quiet nothingness she clung to in her end. She would disappear into the darkness, never to be found.

The waters vanished with her limply crashing into a dimly lit room. Her body slammed against the cobblestone, forcing her eyes open and the warm air welcoming her once more. Where was she? Her clothes were dry as if it hadn't seen a splash of water at all, but the oddest part of it all to her was the man standing in front of the door.

His back was turned to her and he remained unmoving without a sound coming from him. His hair was dark from what she could tell with curls that went below his shoulders. He was dressed in a thin shirt and trousers, covered in small dark smears all over him.

She went to open her mouth to speak, but found no words could come from her. No matter what she tried to say, it was as if she were a mute herself. Not even a sound from the frustrated sigh she let out.

Fire ripped through the window, shattering the glass and starting to spread through the farther side of the room from the man. Naerys shot up to her feet, lunging for the man and shaking him out of whatever daze he must've been in.

She yanked him to turn to her and she felt her heart stop. Her father. Ser Harwin. There was a vacant look in his usually dazzling brown eyes. His eyes never met hers, but simply beyond her as if he were only there in body.

Tears pricked at her own eyes as the fire continued to grow more. She reached for the handle of the door, but it vanished just as her hand brushed the metal. Her eyes went back to her father, who now had tears running down his face freely.

She tried screaming for him. Father. Father. Father. But no sound came, only tears of her own that rushed down her cheeks. She reached for him, but then a banging noise came from the other side of the door along with the same familiar screams that circled the air when she was drowning.

There was one voice standing out more than the others. Her eyes widened with horror, hands banging on the door urgently, feet frantically kicking the door before she tried over and over to throw her body against it. His scream started to ring clearly over the others and Naerys could feel her heart racing out of control.

She screamed for him, though it was useless still. His name remained at the edge of her lips, but never echoed in the room. She tried screaming for her father to help her, to save him, but Harwin remained disconnected.

A hand grabbed her shoulder roughly, forcing her to turn around as the ceiling collapsed over her and Harwin, but not before Naerys caught a glimpse of the most haunting green eyes she'd ever seen.