Chapter 18: The Girl Who Was Different

Naerys didn't care for the odd looks of the lords and ladies she passed as she made her way through the Red Keep. They looked at her like she was completely mad. But if only they all knew the true reason.

She held her head high and found her way down to the waters just outside the castle. At first she just walked leisurely along the sands with her shoes in her hands, staring off into the distance. She was just one sea away from home. One ship away from returning to the one place she always felt comfort.

But she couldn't go home. King's Landing was her home now. Aemond was her husband.

It all felt so foreign to her being married to him, and she didn't know how she really felt about it anymore. He was still a constant nuisance to her any time he spoke. If he was silent, he'd be so much more tolerable to be married to.

All he ever did was taunt her or ridicule her, and yet she couldn't stop wanting him. No matter what he did or said, there was no denying the pleasure she felt from him. She hated it. Hated it. Hated him.

Yet she craved him like air.

She set her shoes down and made her way into the ocean, walking until she spun around and fell backwards, swimming aimlessly in the waters as the sun shined brightly down upon her. The waters were her safe space when she was a child, mostly from all the times she'd go sailing with Ser Laenor or when her family would be playing in the sands.

As she stared at the Red Keep off in the distance, she started to think more about her time as a child in King's Landing. Although it wasn't a particularly happy childhood, Naerys always found a way to have some moments of happiness. Her eyes locked on the Tower of the Hand and it felt wrong knowing Lord Lyonel was no longer living there. No longer living at all.

"Naerys, you shouldn't be in the water. Your mother will be most displeased if you've ruined your gown before supper." Laenor chuckled as he watched Naerys lifting her skirts just slightly so she could walk ankle deep in the water, twirling around and splashing water everywhere with a giggle.

Jace and Luke were too busy making their sand castles together, trying to make the perfect replica of the Red Keep. Though mostly each tower they'd build just looked like a tall blob more than anything.

"I won't go in, I promise!" Naerys twirled once more, enjoying the cool, soft feel of the wet sand between her toes. "Besides, mother is flying. She won't know."

Ser Harwin couldn't help but smile at the girl. She paid hardly any attention to everyone around her, but even as the Lord Commander stood off to the side with Ser Laenor and Ser Qarl, he'd sneak glances at the princess and the youngest prince, Lucerys.

Laenor rolled his eyes, but continued his conversation with Ser Qarl. Ever since the new knight arrived in King's Landing just a couple weeks ago, Laenor was almost always at the man's side, growing closer than ever.

Naerys spun around when she heard the faintest whistle from the skies. She could just barely see a golden shadow in the clouds off in the distance and she instantly lit up. She pointed up at the sky and shouted gleefully. "Father, look!"

But only one man looked.

Not Ser Laenor, not Ser Qarl.

Ser Harwin.

Ser Laenor was too busy with his conversation with Ser Qarl, but Harwin looked right away, smiling when Syrax appeared from the clouds finally with a roar.

Harwin smiled up at the princess' loyal creature, but then his face dropped instantly when he noticed neither Laenor or Qarl had pulled away from their conversation. He looked back at the little princess with a slight worry in his brown eyes.