Chapter 14: The Girl Who Learned She Wasn't Alone

Naerys was pacing anxiously in a silk black nightgown on her wedding night, waiting for her new husband to join her any minute for their consummation.

She'd fallen completely for Prince Qyle and had experienced more love and kindness from him than anyone in her life. She trusted him completely.

But she feared for the worst from herself.

Qyle knew about when her uncle attacked her as a child, and he knew that pain still lingered inside of her. He could see it from the way she flinched whenever someone touched her the first few days after her arrival.

She'd told him about it one night when she jumped back frightened when she smelled wine on his breath.

From that moment on, he made a vow to always protect her, even if he was long gone from this world, he would always protect her.

She feared she was too broken for her husband. She was terrified of the idea of the image of that night flashing in her mind when it was supposed to be the most special night of her life. She had no desire to cry on her wedding night, especially over someone hundreds of miles away.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Naerys, may I come in?" Qyle spoke softly from outside and she opened the door slowly with a nervous smile. Her cheeks were burning as her heart felt like it was going to burst through her chest. He flashed her a dazzling smile as always when he'd see her. "There is no sunset that could ever compare to you, my love."

He stepped in, closing the door behind him as she smiled up at him. She couldn't believe he was real. What did she do to deserve his love?

He cupped her cheeks as he spoke gently to her. "If you're still not ready, we don't have to tr-."

"I want to, Qy. I...I want to try." Her hands rushed to cover his as she looked up at him with soft, pleading eyes. "I trust you."

His thumb brushed tenderly against her cheek as he smiled down at her. She'd come so much out of her shell since they'd met. He loved the fire and passion in her beautiful brown eyes. "Come."

He took her by the hand, leading her over by the fireplace, where he turned with his one hand still holding hers and his other tracing lightly along her jaw.

Her skin was burning, her face completely flushed but she wasn't scared. Not when she looked in his eyes. He looked at her like she was his own to protect. His to cherish. His to desire. His to please.

"I won't ever hurt you." His voice was barely a whisper as his lips replaced his fingers against her jaw.

She let out a soft breath. His lips felt so gentle, so warm, so right.

His lips slowly worked their way towards her ear as he brushed her hair over her shoulder. "I will always stop the moment you tell me to."

A quiet moan left her lips when she felt his breath fan against her ear. Her eyes were half shut, mouth agape with small breaths.

His fingers traced very lightly along her shoulder while he still held her hand, stroking his thumb over hers. He'd hold her hand through it all.

Her free hand flew up to the strings of his tunic, but she just as quickly retracted her hand. His eyes caught the hesitation and he pulled away, only to hover his lips over hers while looking deeply into her eyes. His flightless dragon. He'd give her the wings he could. His beautiful butterfly. "It is alright to want, my love."