Chapter 44: The Girl With A Determined Brother

"Joff, you need to eat something." Rhaena nudged at the boy, who just sat slumped in front of his plate.

"I'm not hungry." Joffrey grumbled under his breath as he crossed his arms in protest.

"I know you are. You've hardly eaten since we've arriv-." Rhaena tried to reach for him, but he shot up from his chair and stomped over to the window in protest. She watched him standing on the tips of his toes to see over the ledge and she let out a small, defeated sigh. "Joffrey?"

"It isn't fair." He shook his head.

"I know." She said and he spun around with reddened cheeks.

"No, you don't. Your sister still lives." He argued with his bottom lip starting to puff out. Her face dropped and suddenly she didn't know what to say. No one did when it came to Joffrey. There was no reasoning with him. "My sister is dead and the world still goes on without her? I don't believe it."

"Joff-." She stood from her chair, but he stomped his foot with a shriek, freezing her in place with stunned eyes.

"She said she would return! She said she would come back! Why isn't she here, sister?! Why?!" Joffrey screamed as tears freely fell down Rhaena's cheeks. While most mourned in private, Joffrey wore his heart on his sleeve. His aching, broken heart.

"I...I don't know, Joff. I..." She sniffled, wiping at her face with her sleeve.

He scoffed to himself before running out of the room from her. No one would listen to him. No one would cry with him. No one would mourn with him.

But Tyraxes would.

Tyraxes felt the same pain the little prince did, having also lost his own brother, Arrax. None of the dragons had been the same since Arrax's death. It was almost unsettling to them all.

But Tyraxes also felt Joffrey's anger. It was like his dragon was the only one who understood what he felt when he lost his brother and sister.

Just like his dragon understood him when they were face to face in the yard.

They wanted answers.

*

***Our poor green queen🥺***

Helaena sat in the carriage next to her mother with a grim face. Just ahead of theirs was the other carriage carrying both twins for their funeral. Hardly a word had been spoken from the false queen since the vicious attack days prior.

She refused to eat or speak, but the worst was the sleep she denied herself. She couldn't shut her eyes without seeing their faces, without seeing the blood. Whenever someone would check in on her, she would be found on the ground, rocking herself back and forth with her terrorized eyes staring ahead.