Summer On The Shore

Arizona's POV:

"Oh my gosh, it feels like we forgot something, Arizona are you sure we have everything?"

I was driving our loaded down SUV with Callie in the passenger seat, and Madelyn in her car seat. Sophia was riding with my parents, as they followed behind us.

"Calliope, for what has to be the 15th time I've said this, Yes! We have everything on our list, plus all the other last minute things that got thrown in when we loaded the car. I even tripled checked the list, after the car was loaded, so you can relax now, sweetie."

I had just turned onto the freeway entrance for I-5 South, (the interstate highway) as I was trying to reassure Callie that we had all the stuff we needed for our time at the coast. As I merged with traffic and pulled into the middle lane, I checked my rear view mirror to make sure my Dad was still behind our car.

"I'm sorry Arizona, I know I've been repeatedly asking you. I just want to make sure that we have everything. I want this trip to be perfect for us, our family, and friends that are joining us. We've worked so hard for this trip and I just want it to be amazing for you and our girls, especially."

Callie gave me her nervous half-smile as she took a deep breath and then deeply exhaled.

The house we rented for our trip sat on the beach and was huge! The home was over 5,000 square feet and boasted 6 bedrooms, 3 of them were ensuites, 8 bathrooms, an outdoor jacuzzi with a sauna, a game room, full-size bar, etc. The list went on and on, but suffice to say, the place had too many amenities to list. Even if we didn't leave the house to explore the surrounding area, there was no shortage of activities inside the rental.

"Callie, it's okay, and I feel the same way you feel." I was steering with my left hand, as I reassuringly rubbed Callie's left thigh to try and soothe her.

"First off though, from a realistic perspective, we both know that something will go wrong and always does. I think that's the nature of family vacations given my experiences over the years. I believe hoping for the best, but anticipating there might be a few mishaps, is a healthier point of view, don't you?"

"You're right, Arizona, I know. I'm just excited about having such a long break for a change. The last few months of work have been rigorous to say the least."

"I couldn't agree with you more Callie, and I am excited for the break and the fun we're going to have with our family and friends that are joining us. Work has been crazy the last couple of months for all of us, but you've seemed unusually stressed this week, even for you. Is everything okay?"

"Sorry, sweetheart, but I have been stressed this last week because of something I have been working on." Callie had a concerned look on her face as she spoke. Her expression made me start to wonder what was going on.

"Callie? Whatever you are referring to, is it why you encouraged Soph to ride with my parents? I mean, I don't care either way who Sophia rides with, but I assumed you wanted us to have some alone time to talk?"

"I can never hide anything from you, Dr. Robbins, can I?" 

Callie nervously chuckled and then continued, "I did pawn our daughter off on your parents so we could talk. I knew I would fail miserably at hiding what I'm about to tell you and think it's best for many reasons to just tell you, now. I wanted you to know before we start the trip."

"Well, didn't we technically already start the trip? I mean, we are driving to the beach as we speak?!"

"Well, yes Arizona, but I wanted you to know before we get there."

"Callie... what am I supposed to know that's so serious? Please don't tell me that I "accidentally" got you knocked-up and that you're pregnant?!"

We both laughed at the absurdity of my last comment and then smiled at each other as we muttered under our breath, 'If only...,' when Callie finished our shared sentiment.