What Happens At The Shore, Stays At The Shore Part II

Callie's POV:

Our vacation at the coast was almost over for the Summer, but we still had a day and a half left before we had to head home. It was Saturday afternoon, and Teddy, Maddy, Arizona and I had just finished our lunches. Maddy dined on puréed sweet potatoes, while the rest of us had cheeseburgers, fries and tater tots.

"Callie, thanks again for lunch. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I started eating. What is it about a fried cheeseburger that makes it so disastrously delicious? So much fat, but so much flavor..." Teddy started mimicking herself drooling uncontrollably.

Arizona and I both giggled at our fellow surgeon and friend when Arizona said, "I know what you mean, Teddy. We don't have cheeseburgers that often, but I'm always fine with burgers when Sophia picks them for dinner. Which, we don't let her do that often or I'd be twice my size!"

"Oh please, Arizona... All I need to do is look at the cheeseburger and I seem to gain 5 pounds. Then again, I suppose if I worked out more routinely, I might not need to avoid certain foods with regularity." I was helping Maddy take her last bite of sweet potatoes as I spoke to my wife and friend.

"Who has time to exercise, let alone breathe most days when we work?" Teddy was cleaning up our empty food containers as she chimed in.

"This one does." I pointed at Arizona in response to what Teddy said.

"I only have, "time," Callie, because I get up early to workout, unlike some people. Since Maddy has arrived however, my regular schedule has been hit or miss. Thus the 5 pounds I'll now be gaining after our lunch today." Arizona shrugged her shoulders as she kissed Madelyn's cheek.

"In that case, I think you two should go for your walk, but only if you let me spend time with Maddy." Teddy had picked Maddy up from her high chair, after I cleaned up her face.

"Teddy, are you sure? We can take her with us if you want some quiet time?" Arizona had an inquisitive look as she gave Teddy an, 'out,' if she wanted it.

"Yes, I'm more than sure. I could really use some time with Maddy right now. She's a great listener, a lively companion and just too darn adorable to almost look at. Time with her is just what I need right now."

"Teddy, only if you are sure." I thought I should double check, even if it was to make me look less eager to have alone time with Arizona.

"I'm sure Callie, now scoot you two, before you convince me to change my mind!" Teddy laughed at our politeness as she gestured for us to get going.

"Calliope, you heard the woman, let's go!" Arizona playfully smacked my butt, as we grabbed our phones and headed towards the back door. 

"Teddy, call us if you need anything, okay?" I held my phone up to show Teddy I had it. That's when Arizona and I heard Teddy start talking directly to Maddy and not us.

"Gee Madelyn, seems your Moms don't trust me to watch you. They must have ridiculously high expectations of their childcare workers if a board certified, cardiothoracic surgeon isn't good enough to watch you."

Arizona and I both laughed as Arizona said, "Good grief, we get the hint and we're leaving!"

As we continued towards the door and outside we heard Teddy tell Maddy, "Well, that only took your goofy Moms 10 minutes to finally leave. Don't ever forget Maddy, I'm only a phone call away when they get too clingy in the future..."

We were still laughing as we strode towards the sand dunes and down to the beach. It was a sunny day and in the low 70's. There were just a few clouds in the blue sky that were rapidly moving east from the ocean winds, as quickly as they seemed to appear. I felt Arizona take my right hand and squeeze it in her own, as we held hands and walked side by side. It was one of those moments I truly cherished for just the simplicity of the happiness I was feeling.