What Happens At The Shore, Stays At The Shore

Arizona's POV:

It was Saturday and the morning after the clambake. Our rental house was hopping just the night before until well after midnight. Our friends came, ate, partied and drank until somewhere around 1 am. That's when the last of the few remaining guests, said their goodbyes. All in all, it was a fantastic party and I was proud of Callie's efforts to plan, organize and execute the event.

More importantly, I had survived another birthday. Although, in the scheme of my life, my last two birthdays with Callie back as my wife, had been incredible. Since realizing our love for one another, I was a firm believer in second chances and figured why not approach my birthday with the same philosophy?

As such, my birthday last year was my first, in too many to count, that I let Callie (somewhat) celebrate the day. Callie was smart though, and didn't make a huge deal about that birthday, but did little things like make me breakfast in bed and gave me a full body massage that evening when we were alone. 

Her spa morning and time together yesterday on my birthday, coupled with the clambake, was the perfect way to spend my day of aging this year. I was incredibly lucky to have a woman that knew me so well and loved me despite my flaws and idiosyncrasies.  

It was early on that Saturday when I awoke, although I'm not sure why my exhausted body refused to sleep. Ahhh, the joys of being an insomniac, oh well. As I laid there, listening to Callie's light snoring, I heard the faint sounds of what I thought was Madelyn. I knew my parent's, mostly my Mom, was watching Maddy through this morning but being the sappy Mom I am, I decided to get up and take care of my mini-me.

A lot of our friends and family had remarked how much Madelyn looked like me from her blond hair, to her gorgeous blue eyes. She even has my nose, that I stole from my Father. Personally, I didn't care so much about our physical similarities, as I was utterly taken with my little girl. I never knew it until she was born, but she brought so much love and happiness into our lives. Our family had been missing it's 4th member but we didn't realize that fact until Madelyn.

I quietly exited our bedroom just in time to see Teddy. She had just left Becca's room and was coming towards her bedroom door when she saw me in the dim hallway lighting. Because I had caught her off guard, she fumbled to explain her presence in the hallway and me witnessing her leave Becca's room.

"Arizona!"

"Teddy... You're up bright and early." 

I cooly surveyed Dr. Altman and how she looked that morning, at 5 am. I could definitely tell she hadn't slept much by her tired eyes and disheveled appearance. Teddy was wearing a pair of yoga pants with a t-shirt that was on backwards, I noted.

"I'm just going to go back to bed, that's all, nothing else." Teddy quickly rushed passed me and into her room. 

'Oh lovely,' I thought as I hurried towards the large great room on the first floor and the sounds of where I could hear Maddy whimpering. Oh well, I was sure at some point I'd hear more from Teddy, but was still content not knowing. So, without missing a beat, I continued downstairs.

In the low lighting on the first floor, I saw my Mom, rocking Maddy, as she was warming up a bottle. My Mom quickly saw me as I walked towards where they were standing in the kitchen so I could hug and kiss them both.

"Good morning, Mom. How are you ladies doing? How did things go last night?" I took Maddy out of my Mom's hands so I could kiss and hold my youngest.

"We're good and we had a great night, Mama. Madelyn slept the entire time and just woke up a few minutes ago for a change and to be fed."

"Well, that's my girl and she's right on time with being hungry. Five am has somehow become her new time to eat these last 3 weeks." I took the bottle out of the warmer and started feeding Maddy, who immediately started eating.