Life Goes On When We Least Expect It To...

Arizona's POV:

"Callie, I'll get your things, okay?" We had just pulled into our garage that early afternoon. It had been two days since Callie woke from her coma and she was finally medically stable to leave Grey Sloan Memorial, sodium and all.

"Arizona, I know you're being caring right now, but I'm not incapable!" Callie leaned over from the passenger's seat in our SUV and kissed my cheek. "Still, I'm just fine with you waiting on me."

I had to laugh and somehow knew once we got home, my offer to wait on Callie hand and foot wasn't going to be a tough thing for her to accept. Between the two of us, I'd say we're both independent women in many ways. However, when the offer to be pampered versus maintaining our autonomy comes up, neither one of us would ever say no, to being spoiled by the other one.

As we were getting out of the car, I grabbed Callie's things as the interior garage door to our house sprung open. Sophia was out the door in microseconds as she threw her arms around Callie's midsection.

"Mom! You're home! Do you feel okay?" Sophia had a concerned but curious look on her face as she spoke.

Callie and Soph were sharing a tighter than usual hug before they slowly walked towards the door to the house, arms still around each other. I followed behind them with Callie's things as I started thinking...

In those few seconds, all I could reflect upon was what a wonderful view I had of my wife and my daughter, arm and arm, around one another, as they walked through the house door. And to think, that only 3 days before, I was beyond worried that I might not get to see a view like this again... I started to tear up, but convinced myself not to lean on that horrible thought, for there was no reason in that moment to feel that way. Callie was doing well and was finally home and that was all that truly mattered.

"I'm still tired, but I'm fine, Bug. In fact, I feel better than I have in over a month! My sodium level dropped so slowly during December that I didn't realize during those four weeks how much it made me extremely exhausted. And Bug, I'm sorry we missed New Year's Eve this year! I promise you that next year we will make it extra special, okay?"

"Mom, it's okay, it was just another day. What matters is that you are okay." I watched as they both squeezed one another again and Callie leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"Thank you for understanding, Sophia. I love you so very much."

"I love you too, Mom. Now, stay right here for a moment, okay? I have a surprise for you and Mama!"

Sophia went running towards the kitchen and out of our earshot at a rapid rate...

"Arizona, when did our daughter become so mature? I think during the time I was gone, she grew up even more...?"

"Callie, it's amazing to me how we sometimes miss things on a day to day basis, but when we're away for any length of time, I feel like we miss so much! It's like we've fast forwarded part of a movie we were watching and now get to try and pick back up after missing 10 minutes of critical dialogue." 

Callie and I exchanged sympathetic looks on our faces when we heard, "Moms! Can you come in the Media room? Please!?" We both smiled at one another and headed to find Sophia and her booming voice. 

When we walked in our dedicated TV room, we were greeted by so many sights and sounds. Sophia clearly had some help, but we were surprised to find the room was decorated for the New Year's holiday. There were streamers, decorations, hats, noise makers and lighting. In the background, the TV was tuned in to one of the major network's broadcast of the evening's events in Times Square, New York. The decor and recreation of the event we missed was so sweet and wonderful, that Callie and I began to tear up.