A True Friend Stabs You In The Front Part II

Callie's POV:

The sound of our front door slamming as Teddy fled our home, seemed to echo longer than it should have. As I tried to wrap my brain around what had just happened in the span of mere minutes, Arizona started soothingly rubbing my back.

"Callie, before you say anything, I want you to know that whatever just happened, isn't your fault, okay? Teddy came over already fired-up about her love life, which was well before she found out you told Bailey about her relationship with Becca."

"Arizona, it doesn't feel that way, but I'll take your word on that. I've never seen Teddy get so angry with us, ever! What on Earth did we do that would make her so upset with us? I know I shouldn't have told Bailey, but what choice did I have? And, it's only Bailey whom I know will not say anything to anybody else about Teddy and Becca, nor does she care."

"I know that Callie and you know that, but apparently our "friend," doesn't seem to see that perspective at the moment. She was taking verbal shots at me this afternoon while we talked. She basically blames me, us, for inviting Becca to the party. Teddy also blames us for not telling her that Becca was actually going to attend the party after all. Oh, and one other thing... she slept with Chip last night and didn't leave his house until late this afternoon."

"What?! How can she blame us for inviting Becca? I'm sorry, but last time I checked, this is our house and it was our Christmas party we hosted! And how in the Hell were we supposed to know Becca would change her mind at the last minute and join us? Has Teddy completely snapped? And, did you just say that Teddy and Chip had sex last night? Arizona, could this situation get any more complicated?!"

"I'm starting to wonder the same thing, Callie. It's not like Teddy to be illogical about anything, especially her friendships. In fact, I've always admired what an emotional anchor she is in the sea of my other friends. She is someone that is a straight-shooter, but is good at examining both sides of any situation. To have her get angry with me today, well, it broke my heart."

Arizona's eyes instantly filled with tears and leaked a single drop that trickled down her cheek. I could see the deep hurt and sadness in her face as she said, "I'm most afraid Teddy is going to push us out of her life because of this. It seemed like she was doing that today with me as some kind of defense mechanism."

I too, was tearing up at not only the heated words Teddy spoke to me, but also at seeing my wife go through profound heartache over potentially losing her best friend of well over a decade.

"Arizona, maybe in time Teddy will pull her head out of her ass and realize what she's said and done? That's my hope, because clearly, we've done nothing wrong. Teddy is too intelligent to miss seeing that, but maybe she just needs time to reflect over the last few days. Holy cow did she ever complicate her relationship with Becca by sleeping with Chip! Granted, I'm not defending Becca or Teddy given their lack of honesty with each other, but how could she hop into bed with Chip when things are still so convoluted with Becca?"

"You're preaching to the choir and it was all I could do Callie not to bring that salient detail up, this afternoon. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into her, but decided to avoid the topic altogether. Given Teddy's attack on me today, it was a topic that only would have led to an inevitable confrontation."

"You have more willpower than I do, Dr. Robbins, but we've known that for quite some time now." We both shared a quick kiss and half-smiles while I continued to talk.

"If it had been me getting verbally assaulted, I would have pointed out how foolish she was to start a physical relationship with Chip if she was still trying to figure out her physical relationship with Becca."