Dashing Through The Snow...

Arizona's POV:

Callie and I had just left the hotel in Leavenworth and were on our way to lord knows where in Central Washington State. As Callie followed the GPS instructions on her phone, we seemed to be driving deeper into the forest of the Cascade Mountains. All that was visible now were miles of rudimentary fences, fir trees dotted with white splotches and snow on the ground. Occasionally, we'd see a home, every half mile or so. 

Most of the houses on this stretch of highway were nestled on large parcels of property. Almost all of the homes had plumes of smoke being dispelled from their chimneys, as the residential properties were being warmed by fireplaces in the current, near freezing temperatures. It appeared that a good deal of these homesteads were ranches or farms from their landscapes. Either way, they all seemed to be literally in the middle of nowhere, at least from my perspective after living in such a large city like Seattle for well over a decade.

We must have driven about 20 minutes out of town, when the GPS informed us it was time to take the next right. A half second later as Callie started her turn, I saw a huge fence with an open gate. High above the rather wide entrance was a large curved sign that said, "Icicle Outfitters and Guides."

"Callie, I thought you said we wouldn't be doing anything that required physical activity? This sounds like we'll be doing a hike in the snow!"

"Arizona, I promise you that we will not be doing anything that requires any movement from us, I swear."

I was still skeptical and probably sounded like Sophia when she doubts us as I said, "Okay...," as Callie continued on her now decelerated speed as she drove down the winding gravel driveway. 

The road we were driving on was lined with trees and made it impossible to see the scenery behind them so I could get a better clue as to where Calliope was taking me. Finally after a few more minutes of driving, we reached a large open piece of property that directed us to a place to park and a path to walk on.

The property had two huge barns and what appeared be a main house and a smaller adjacent home ahead of our path. As we trudged down the gravel walkway, you could hear "crunching" noises coming from our shoes every time we'd take a step. When we got closer, it suddenly became clear what we were there for when I saw the sign that said, "Sleigh rides this way," with an arrow.

"Calliope Torres! We're going on a sleigh ride? That's such a fantastic activity for us to experience together!" I leaned over and squeezed Callie with my left arm around her waist as I talked.

"You know me, Dr. Robbins. I like to pull-out all the stops when I go big." Callie leaned over and kissed my left cheek, before she half-hugged me the same way I j had just done to her.

We quickly reached our check-in spot, inside one of the red barns by this point, and were promptly greeted by a staff member.

"Well hello, and welcome to Icicle Outfitters, I'm Jennifer. How can I help you?"

The woman was seated in a small booth just inside the entrance to the barn that had a clear window she could open and close, which made sense with the weather in that region. Her reception area looked rather cozy with its large electric fireplace that was designed to look like it was built-in. I noticed there were two desks in the space, as well as a small kitchenette when I peered in for a closer look."

"I'm Callie Torres, I made a reservation a number of weeks ago online. I have my confirmation number if you need it."

"Oh gosh, no need Ms. Torres, I see your reservation right in front of me. I'll get you checked in and let your tour guide, Keith, know you're here. He's currently on a trip right now, but should be finishing up in about 15 minutes. Would you ladies care for some hot tea, cider, cocoa or coffee while you wait?"