With A Little Help From My Friends Part II

Callie's POV:

The last thing I remember was everyone rushing around my hospital room while it felt like I was in two places at once. I remember feeling like I was watching everything from above my bed, but also felt like I was in my body at the same time. It's hard to describe and makes me sound less than medically intelligent when I've tried to explain my experience, but's that is what I remember.

The next thing I recalled was being poked and prodded at with needles and then feeling the pain from someone applying a sternal rub to my chest. I knew they were checking my reflexes but at the time I was pissed off.

"What in the fucking hell?! That hurts!" 

Coming out of a coma can make people react and say things they might not otherwise. I looked at my attacker only to realize it was Lance. In the next half-second I saw a very familiar face that had tears welling-up in her beautiful blue eyes.

"There you are. Calliope, how are you feeling?" Arizona was holding my hand as she gently kissed my forehead.

"Callie, how are doing? Sorry I just did that to your sternum..., I was only trying to elicit a response from you."

I sat in my bed for an unknown amount of time trying to piece together why Lance had done that to me, but couldn't put the puzzle together in my head. Arizona and Lance saw me and almost in unison said, "Callie, it's okay..."

At that point, Lance got quiet to let Arizona speak for many reasons. She continued to hold my hand as she said, "Sweetheart, it's going to take you some time to figure things out right now and that's okay. You've been in a coma for two days and are slowly getting used to everything. It's not your first experience, so I know you'll understand in time."

Lance had taken my other hand as he spoke, "Your body just needed some time to heal and reset. So just like your highly intelligent wife/doctor said, it will be okay. You know what to do."

He squeezed my hand before letting go and patted my upper arm. Lance was wearing a tie that early morning with pink flamingos all over it. Like Arizona, he looked exhausted, but ecstatic to see my open eyes.

For appearing to be a quirky guy based on his fun neckties, his true colors as a compassionate physician were evident throughout his treatment of me. At least from what I was told by Arizona. He spent the two days I was in a coma, sleeping in his office, just so he could be close by. It was beyond commendable and something that would forever bond my wife and I to him as friends.

I had been awake for a couple of minutes when Lance and Arizona started talking to me and assessing my neurological status. They, of course, started basic and then in a few more minutes, started doing cranial nerve testing. Things were starting to click rather rapidly at that moment. It was as if a switch had been flipped-on again in my brain. By the time they got to cranial nerve six, I took over the testing. 

When I got to cranial nerve 12, I stuck out my tongue at them and said, "See you two, I'm fine!"

I watched as both doctors started laughing and smiling at a regular testing component for cranial nerve 12, sticking out your tongue, that I used to my humorous advantage.

"Well Arizona, she seems like she's going through a quick bounce back given she completed her own cranial nerve testing!" 

"And more importantly, her sarcasm seems to be making a raring comeback. That alone is solid evidence this girl's going to be just fine." Arizona bent down and quickly kissed my lips and then softly caressed my cheek. 

"See, I felt you touch my cheek just now! That's branch 2 of the Trigeminal nerve! 

Both Arizona and Lance giggled at me and beamed.