Summer On The Shore Part V

Arizona's POV:

It was Thursday afternoon and I had just gotten back from grocery shopping for our evening meal at the vacation house. We had a fantastic catered dinner the night before, thanks to Em and Rachel, but for tonight's dinner, I had volunteered to cook for our family and friends. After talking with everyone, we decided earlier to make lasagna for our nighttime meal.

The rest of the group had gone on a hike/sightseeing expedition to Cape Disappointment, that afternoon while I shopped. The Cape was an area on the southern most point of the peninsula and had seen a lot in its various capacities it served over the years. Most notable, was the fact that the lighthouse was still standing after years of surviving crippling storms that waged havoc along the coastline. 

It was a hike I'd done before, so I decided to make use of my time that day and buy groceries instead. That way, I could get dinner made at a reasonable time that night. Which was something I wouldn't be able to do, if I went on the hike and shopped after.

And admittedly, as much as I love my family and close friends, by that point in the week I needed a break from everyone and their noise. For a change, the solitude of grocery shopping for 11 people, sounded far better than getting pelted by salt air while talking and exercising. 

After shopping, I got home to an empty house, but not long after, I heard loud voices and footsteps thundering up the stairs to the front door. One by one, everyone filed in as their conversations and laughter continued to grow in volume. 

I silently watched, as my parents headed to their bedroom, no doubt to use the bathroom, while Soph and Anna, ran to the game room to watch TV. Renee and Ari, bottled waters in hand, had gone out back to sit on the porch. That left everyone else, in the kitchen and living room, as I was working on a countertop that was next to the kitchen sink.

"Hey sweetie, how did it go at the grocery store?" Callie walked up to where I was standing, as I had started chopping garlic for the marinara sauce.

"Oh, it was fine." I kissed Callie and Madelyn, who was in Callie's arms. "I was able to find all the ingredients I needed and was pleasantly surprised to find the Parmesan-Reggiano cheese I was looking for."

While the peninsula we were staying on was picturesque and quaint, the grocery selection was pretty basic. Even with tourists around, the population was not big enough in that region to stock items that are easily available in Seattle stores, but are considered specialty items at smaller grocery stores like the ones along the peninsula.

"Wow Arizona, that is impressive for this neck of the woods!" Callie was bouncing Maddy up and down as she was warming a bottle for her. Madelyn was busy babbling nonsensical words as her beautiful blue eyes surveyed the kitchen. I couldn't help myself and leaned over to give Maddy another kiss.

Meanwhile, I noticed Teddy and Becca chatting away in the living room. It was like they had no clue that anyone else was around. Since Teddy's arrival the day before, I had begun to notice how the two of them seemed to gravitate towards one another. 

After our dinner last night, our group sat around the outdoor fire and talked till one by one, folks went to bed. As Callie and I were turning in, Teddy and Becca reassured us they would turn things off and lock the backdoor when they were coming in for the night. 

(Interesting to me though, was the fact they stayed by the fire till close to 1 am. Which was 3 hours after, we said goodnight to them.) 

The only reason I knew that fact? I was up feeding Maddy in a dark, silent corner of the living room, when they came inside. After a few bottles of wine, they were a tad louder than usual, but still relatively quiet. Being up though, I could hear them trying to muffle their shared giggles in the dim lighting, as they headed to their rooms.