When You See The Storm Clouds Rising Part II

Callie's POV:

"Hey girls, how's it going in here?" Arizona was a couple steps ahead of me with a lantern when we walked into Soph's bedroom as she spoke. 

The girls had large blankets they had hung over chairs, the desk and the bed. They used books, toys and any heavier item they could find to affix the ends of their makeshift tent.

"We're good Mama, but we were both wondering if we could have another Halloween cookie?"

Our daughter, much like me, never misses an opportunity to get another sweet treat whenever she was able. I could tell Arizona didn't mind and said, "That's fine with us, but let us get them for you since it's dark in the kitchen."

Both girls happily nodded in response to my comment, so I quickly headed to the kitchen and returned with their cookies in time to hear Arizona say, "Hey Bug and Anna, since we don't have power, it's going to get colder as the night goes on. We brought in more blankets for you both, but also brought in some sweatshirts and socks for you too. If it gets too cold in your bedroom, we can sleep in the media room by the fire. Just let your Mom and I know before you go out there so we can join you, okay?"

In unison both girls said, "Okaaay." They were busy arranging pillows inside the tent when we halted their progress. 

That's when Arizona continued to say, "Oh and Anna, your Mom is sleeping upstairs in the guest room so if you need anything tonight, just let Callie and I know. We're going to be across the hall in our bedroom with Maddy."

"Okay Arizona, I will. Is my Mom sharing her bedroom with Teddy?"

Arizona and I exchanged brief looks at one another as we scrambled to answer Anna's straightforward question. Thank goodness Arizona was faster on her feet, because I was failing to figure out what to say. We both assumed that Anna knew nothing about Teddy and her Mom's convoluted relationship, but now I wasn't so sure about that assumption. 

"They are bunking together to stay warm, just like you and Sophia are, and Callie and I."

"I see, okay, but I think my Mom and Teddy are more like you and Callie though."

And there it was. As parents we always assume we're so clever at hiding things from our children. What we tend to forget, however, is these little people watch our every move, day in and day out. I think kids sometimes know more about a particular parent, than that parent's spouse does at times.

I was still not sure what to say and was thankful Arizona was not without words. "What would make you think that, Anna?"

"Well, my Mom is different most of the time she's around Teddy and when they think I'm not looking, they touch each other a lot. I'm okay with it if they are together, but Mom always says she's not interested in anyone else other than me."

"Anna, I don't know myself if Teddy and your Mom like one another like Callie and I do, but I know they are very close friends. I also know your Mom loves you like crazy and would do anything for you."

"I know, but I want my Mom to be happy. My Dad has a boyfriend and he's happy now and I like Teddy. I have fun when she's with us."

I decided to add my two cents and reroute our conversation. "Well then Anna, good news. I have a feeling Teddy, your Mom and you, will be here at least one more day with the weather forecast. Now you two, give us hugs goodnight, but remember, we're just across the hall, okay?"

Arizona and I took turns hugging our daughter and Anna before heading to our bedroom with Maddy. We decided to have Maddy sleep between us to keep her warm that night. We kept our voices low, but started changing into sweats and thick socks to stay warm ourselves as we talked.