Chapter 2: Winter's End

"Frostnova?" A hooded man muttered, around him, a massive room was covered in ice as the woman at fault lay dying on his hands

"Go... ahead..." A weak voice escaped her frozen breath. No matter if the man's skin was currently being turned to ice due to her condition, he still carried her, resting her head on his arms.

"I think, your father really loves you. Just like you remember everything your actual parents have done to save you... You can remember everything he has done for you..." The man said softly, with the white rabbit chuckling...

"It's a shame he was fated to outlive me... I wonder had I not met him... would he suffer the same way I brought him?" The hooded man shook his head.

"It is because of his suffering that he cherishes you even more..." Upon hearing the man's answer, the bunny smiled.

"Hehehe...Doctor. I can call you that, can't I? Doctor of Rhodes Island, choices just might be meaningless, in this world. Even so, even if the outcome makes no difference... I do want to choose for myself. I made my choice. With my own hands... To take the fruits of the seeds I have sown." The woman rested her hand on the hooded man's face.

"Your fingers... They are warm..." The man commented as he held onto the woman's hand.

"Strange... Why... is your face, cold? Is my body temperature not low?" She asked, surprised herself.

"Yes. Your symptoms, they are gone..." The man assured her, and with another weak chuckle, the woman caressed him even more.

"Ironic... I feel so... Alive, before..." Her words quieted as she nodded.

"I... would like to join Rhodes Island... I accept your invitation... Doctor..." She continued, her breathing was heavy as she gazed upon the hooded man's eyes.

"Thank you..." He said, trying not to tear up, the bunny shook her head.

"No... thank you. Your eyes remind me of someone I used to know. I met a boy who said his brother would rather go to the gallows than beg for his enemies' mercy... So he was going to walk across the snowy plains, he was going to walk all of Ursus... And he didn't come with us.
I thought he was the most idealistic person I've ever met. But now, you and Amiya changed my mind... Maybe ideals can be a kind of faith." She explained, releasing her hand, the hooded man nodded.

"Rhodes Island is all about fighting for a shared belief..." He said, with the bunny now looking up to the sky, a single crystal tear slid down her pale face.

"The original Reunion... was the same. Just the same. Your eyes, and that boy's, really do look the same. Only, you're not as determined as he was. You're so much... So much gentler. Let me go. My brothers and sisters are waiting for me." The white rabbit paused, her eyes weakly turning to the ceiling.

"...Father... I've been such a fool..."

"Forgive me..."

With that, the winter maiden closed her eyes for a final time, as silence covered the frozen, wartorn area...