Chapter 16: FLyWaY

"That Cardin guy... You're going to let him go?" Ella eyed Cardin from behind the curtains as Ozpin conversed with Ace about Yelena's words.

"Yeah, 'saw the cameras, that's basically attempted murder y'know," Ace commented as well.

"While his actions are certainly deplorable, he will simply be issued a major offence. I have dealt with far worse children in the past, bandits, mercenaries, and even mobsters, and I've seen them all turn good after their years in here." Ozpin took a final sip of his mug before giving it to the young girl, making his way onto the stage.

"I've dealt with worse."

~

"Lemuel G. Free, Sky Lark, Yelena and Cardin Winchester. You four have selected the Black Bishop piece, and would hereby be dubbed: Team FLWY (Flyway)." Ozpin spoke with as much care as he did with any other team. Yet underneath the facade of the wise headmaster was a sense of worry of what was to come. Merely looking at Yelena brought his thoughts elsewhere, as if already seeing the tragedy to come, but not sure when it would happen.

The thought of the unknown was a curse that only he should bear, and even then, he could only carry so much before his secrets spilt out. If such a world like Terra was capable of churning out monsters like the Emperor's Blade capable of tearing the balance of the world, or moulding young children (comparably to him) like Yelena into forces of nature needing an army to stop... What's the worse to come? 

After all, Yelena, Patriot, Ace... they're only singular individuals in a vast world. They may know their world better than Ozpin, but they are just as blind to Terra as well... 

Taking a deep breath, he looked down towards the four, seeing each fault in themselves. 

"And you will be led by Lemuel G. Free."

"What?!"

~~~

"Cardin?!" Yang and Blake winced as everyone turned to face them.

"That's... that's the guy that got you on a Nevermore?" Ruby raised a brow and pointed at Sky.

"No, the big guy wearing full plate."

"Oh," Ruby nodded as she turned to face the stage once more, noticing that Yelena, on the side, had a tiny smirk growing on her cheek, while Cardin, on the other side, had his brows raised, surprised by the pairing.

"The Winchesters? It's been a while since I've seen him..." Weiss widened her brows as her team then turned to face her, much to her annoyance, "What? They visited me on my 15th birthday party, though it was more of a business gathering when you think about it..."

"Oh... thought you'd be head over heels for some hunk of muscle that nearly tried to kill us." Yang joked, with Weiss's face turning a shade of red in embarrassment.

"I'd still say no to him even if he was the last man on Remnant. I have a type."

"Now that you mentioned it... The Winchesters somewhat hold a monopoly on Vale's shipping lines. Cardin should be the only son of the Richmon Winchester and Dena Winchester, the current heads of the Winchester house and company." Blake added, also suddenly recognizing who the boy was.

"Hehe, Rich-mon Winchester..." Ruby, in her ever-childish wisdom, snorts, with Yang following along with her sister's antics.

"And you will be led by Lemuel G. Free." Ozpin announced, much to everyone's surprise, including Free, who raised his brows and turned to Yelena.

"Free has consistently shown his versatility in the events of the initiation, from displaying his knowledge over the Grimm at hand and recommending actions needed to fend off a specific scenario," The screen began to display scenes of Free and Yelena against the Eater of World, paired with him discussing what the Grimm was to the other teams.