Chapter 13: Meet Ruby Rose

~~~An Hour Before Initiation~~~

"As much of a shithole you three had gotten into with that little act of yours from yesterday, we should be thankful that no professor came and it was merely Pyrrha Nykos." Sky sighed as he leveled his scroll in front of an uninterested Cardin, Russel and Dove, showing a list of items, all being several chess pieces, "The information about the relics was just given to your father yesterday by his informant. It's be chess pieces, wherein those who have the same pieces would be selected as a team. So if you three want to stick together with the whole 'buddy-buddy' shtick, we need to reach the relics first."

"That shit seems obvious don't you think? Got any other things to say like a broken record?" Dove grunted, clearly wanting to leave the meeting.

"There seems to be some kind of signal jammer preventing us from communicating via scrolls, so I've hooked up with some buddies of mine to get you these." Sky opened his satchel as he produced four small boxes without any detail saved for a retractable antenna.

"Radios? Don't scrolls use the same frequency?" Cardin raised a brow, inspecting the curious object.

"Vacuan dirt bricks. Made during the Faunus war when the fighting reached Vacuo, the frequency should be high enough to go through most jamming signals, as well as being undetectable to other receivers besides these ones. In the case you're ever caught, simply crush it and it'll be nothing more than dirt and twigs." Sky explained as the three blinked at him in surprise, almost forgetting he was a Vacuan mercenary before being hired to assist them.

"You got that all?"

~

"Dove and Russel were disqualified." Sky gritted his teeth in frustration, his hand instantly crushing the secretive radio.

"Wait what?!" Cardin turned in shock as Sky repeated his words in a far calmer manner.

"Their radios gave out a spike, meaning their radios were destroyed." He explained, turning to look at the sun for directions, "It must be related to the earthquakes, an Eater of Worlds maybe?"

"Maybe they just broke that radio of yours? Y'know, like dumbasses." Cardin tried to reason out, doubting that his two friends could have been disqualified this quickly, yet, even as he applied a somewhat playful manner to somehow persuade his 'partner', it gave little to change Sky's decision.

"Really? They may be stupid, but they weren't that stupid to accidentally break something that vital- but if that's what you, their long time friend, would think-"

"See? Let's go!" Cardin glowed as though it worked-

"Then it perfectly cements my understanding that your friends should have been disqualified at this point for sheer stupidity. And besides, if they did enter, they'll be a liability to your ticket in getting a huntsman license." Sky chuckled as he watched the lights on Cardin's face dissipate immediately, 'Well, no shit am I also saying this because I also want to get a huntsman license, this is the most common way a mercenary can turn into a fully-fledged huntsman after all..."

"You fuck- We need to join up with Dove and Russel." Cardin winced, surprised by the rather sarcastic answer Sky gave back, and instead attempted to intimidate Sky with his size and bulk, changing his tone as he took a step forward... though to little effect as Sky merely sighed.

"Your father merely paid me to get you to Beacon, I ain't under your command. If those two dumbass friends of yours can't even make it out of initiation, then they shouldn't be here."

"Listening to my father is the same as listening to me, so whatever I say, you follow, unless you want me to cancel your payment." Cardin lurched forward, pressing a finger right onto Sky's chest, though like before, was to little effect.