Chapter 6: Beacon Academy

"You know of that devil?!" Yelena let out a growl as she took a step forward, the temperature dropping sharply.

"No, no. We wouldn't want to associate ourselves with someone so... dangerous." Ozpin waved his hand as Glynda brought herself away from the angered Cautus, her wand ready just in the off chance the girl would attack.

"Then how do you know of them!" The Headmaster could tell how much hatred emanated from the young girl, the immediate and extremely potent reaction only serving to answer his question, the very reason why Yelena was here in the process.

"Let me tell you of a story then..." Ozpin began, "It all began 80 years ago..."

~~~

"They what?" Patriot raised his brow as he listened to her daughter. He was awoken from his slumber by Yelena, who quickly began to recount her meeting with the headmaster.

"But you are asking me if you could enrol into this academy?" 

"If you wish to explore this world instead of staying here, then I would decline the offer-" Yelena was promptly stopped as she felt her father's hand rest on her head, her rabbit ears crunching a bit to make way for his palm. Turning her gaze to her father's sights, she looked through his menacing sights, seeing a silent confirmation to her question.

"We are no longer bound by the chains of the infected and Ursus... You have your own life now." Deep down, beneath his years of battles and triumphs, beneath his thick impenetrable armour, he was still a loving father. He had left the warring Sarkaz council of Kazdel for a better life in Ursus, and he had left Ursus when it had betrayed him and his family. 

For all his life he ran from fate, eventually, to the point where the world did not need him anymore. A second chance like this was the best ending he could ever think of.

Yelena took some time to digest her father's words but without a beat, she burst into a teary smile, wrapping her arms around her father.

"Oh right, he also gave me this." Yelena suddenly pulled away from her father, producing a piece of paper from her pocket.

"A free tour of Beacon Academy?"

~~~

The large wendigo sat quietly as he ignored the ever-increasing stares garnering from the other passengers of the local airship he was on. It wasn't in his schedule today to visit Beacon Academy, though he didn't mind, as there really wasn't anything in his schedule besides roaming Vale to begin with.

"The Headmaster plans to disguise your meeting with him as a tour of the academy." 

He was partially excited for such an opportunity, to be integrated into this brand-new world so easily, and he felt a particular nostalgia for it all. Having left the violent court of Kazdel for a brand new future during his younger years, he enlisted in the Ursine military with the prowess he had. And now Yelena was following his steps... But hopefully, not all his footsteps... 

He did not want her to experience the same tragedies he had experienced, from the loss of his son to even his decaying march in the wastes of the Northern tundra, he wished for this to be the last time he would ever need to bear his shield to fight.

As the view of the Academy grew bigger and bigger, Patriot's eyes widened with surprise and glamour at the overviewing sight. While still incomparable to the architecture of a moving city, the towering spire at the very centre aligned with magnificent stone structures and buildings was a sight to behold. It was far too large for the entire facility to be 'just a military academy', and far too grand to even be labelled an academy.